Let's talk multi meter testers .

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Fluke is the professional's choice because they are accurate and reliable. Their response time is very quick. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I have taken many electrical safety classes, required at my former work place. Every class, every instructor, recommended the Fluke. When you depend on a meter to protect your life and expensive equipment, you want the best.

oO_Rogue_Oo, dango and JimRau like this.
  2. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

Fluke was great years ago when they made a small cheaper version. Now I use a Fieldpiece. Unless I’m checking a LiveI 3 phase high voltage panel where I will use my Fluke 75.

dango likes this.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 5 or 6 of them. If you know basic electricity you can trouble shoot MANY things home and auto, and save A LOT of $$$ by doing it yourself.:cool:

dango likes this.
  4. Double20

Double20 Active Member

I was going to suggest Simpson brand since I have a really old one from the 1990s that still works great. I used to work on copier machines and got this one as a hand me down from a older technician who thought he needed a new one for some reason. But then I googled Simpson multimeters to see what today's prices were on them and they sure are pricey! Definitely not in the $50 range. But I can attest to the fact that they are good, long lasting, and accurate meters if you are willing to spend the money for one.

dango likes this.
  5. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm of the Simpson 260 analog multi-meter generation and have two that are at least 40 years old. But they are definitely pricey and digital probably is a better choice for most of today's users.

The Navy's military version of a Simpson 260 was an AN/PSM-4A...if I remember correctly. :)

ellis

oO_Rogue_Oo and dango like this.
  6. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fluke!!! I'm an industrial electrician. Fluke is the only brand ill use. I've seen on multiple occasions cheap meters give false readings and take interference from surrounding electronics. One thing about electricity, you don't see it, you don't smell it, but you will surely feel it!! My life is important. So I have no room for risk when it comes to electricity... 25 yrs strong...
    Now with being said, for basic stuff you don't need the high end Fluke.

7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm no pro electrician but enjoy fixing things . I do believe that tools are an investment that over a life time pay you back ten fold so I do buy the best I can afford . If I weren't this old , I might consider a much better one but really , my clock is ticking away amongst other bodily functions with age .

I'll sleep on it but budget is a factor in every choice I make .

Pasquanel and Rifling82 like this.
  8. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

dango, truth is the one c-3 recommended will probably do everything you need done.

ellis

donthav1, dango and Rifling82 like this.
  9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

In defense of what I suggested- Fluke makes a GREAT meter. When I had employees cimbing TV antennae towers to perform weld inspections- and there was a potential danger of RF energy- the meter in the shirt pocket of my worker was made by Fluke. Since our company was buying the little creatures, I also knew what they sold for (JESUS!!! HOW MUCH???)- and we willingly paid that- it was much cheaper than setting a worker on fire 400 feet off the ground.

But if I am trouble shooting why the brake lights on my boat trailer are not working, the meter I paid for is going to look at lot more like that Harbor Freight item.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

What I was always told is that when you think you 'have mastered' electricity, motor cycles, and/or high explosives you are likely to find out you have not NOT!!!;)

G66enigma, donthav1 and dango like this.
  11. Chainfire

PeeJay, I am not an electrician, but I had to impersonate one in my last job. I did electrical work in an industrial setting that I was not qualified to do. The most important lesson that I learned is that 277 hurts, it burns the skin and you can indeed taste it. I know enough to wire three phase motors or wire a house, but past that, I am a novice. When it was time to open a transformer cabinet, I stepped back and let the big boys come in. I saw enough films on Arc flash that I wanted nothing to do with it. I wouldn't pull a 300 amp fuse if your life depended on it!

Correct me if I am wrong, but a Fluke amp probe meter is probably around $175.00 today.

primer1, Rifling82 and dango like this.
  12. Chainfire

Hey, Dango. Forget the good ones. Buy the cheapest one from China that you can find.

.!.;)

For the first few years that I was a plumber I used a home made test meter. It was two weather-proof sockets wired in series with refrigerator bulbs. Taped up in a nice neat package. You could test for 110 or 220. 110 dim, 220 bright. It worked for testing water heaters. You always started by testing a known circuit to tell that your bulbs were still good. It was a perfect test for power on, but not so much for power off. Crude but effective.

ellis36 and dango like this.
  13. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

14. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Made in 'Merica!

primer1 and dango like this.
  15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Jim- used to work with a retired Navy Chief- one of the "black gang". He used to say there are 4 things that can hurt you real bad if you stop respecting them- High voltage, high explosives, high pressure steam- and other men's wives.

towboater, JimRau, G66enigma and 3 others like this.
  16. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Now that is iconic ! Ole C , I can't express the respect I have for you ! There are not many humans I look up to , just my cocky nature ? But you have humbled me many times ! I do pray for things and you are very high on my bucket list !

Time for a phone call again , I will soon .

17. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

ellis36 likes this.
  18. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

50-100... Reasonable is out there.. Just look. Decision is yours.. Screenshot_20200813-224428_Chrome.jpeg

Mister Dave likes this.
  19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve got four Flukes, a Radio Shack, a Klein and a Harbor Freight, and one Chiwaneese special, which is a dedicated engine tester, and includes an inductive pickup tachometer. For working on engines the Chiwaneese one is my choice.

There are several on eBay right now, as well as a couple of used Fluke 88s, meters.