Let's talk multi meter testers .

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Aug 12, 2020.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I loaned mine out to somebody last year to do work on a lawnmower . Well , I no longer have one . So what's a good cheap tester ? What are you guys using .

I got so many gasoline yard tools I got to have one .

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Have several of the shirt pocket sized VOMs, and one of these-
    [​IMG]
    Voltage, resistance, AC amperage. Also have a spark tester for spark plugs. Has neon lamp that flashes when plug fires. Good for troubleshooting small engines.

donthav1 and dango like this.

3. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Use one of these in work, all you will need.
    PPROKIT01__30872.1545410549.png

dango likes this.
  4. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Cheap multi meters aren't good and good multi meters aren't cheap.

Having said that, Greenlee and Amprobe are good enough.

PeeJay1313, jigs-n-fixture and dango like this.
  5. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I’ve had the same 20$ craftsman meter for over 10 years now and have no complaints but I would still like to get a Fluke at some point

6. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I have a Fluke in every room, and in every vehicle. is there another brand?

7. dango

Ok , why Fluke ? Why is it so desirable ? And how much in price ? I take care of everything I can so my tools are very important to me . I get a feeling of pride doing constructive things , my (toxic male thing) ....:)

8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

9. dango

Ok , why Fluke ? Why is it so desirable ? And how much in price ? I take care of everything I can so my tools are very important to me . I get a feeling of pride doing constructive things , my (toxic male thing) ....:)
    WHY.....? o_O I basically fix all my two stroke and four stroke yard equipment , coils , circuits and such so I don't need a mega tester .

10. Rifling82

Heck I don’t know, that’s all I’ve ever used at work, they’re good.... I’ve got a Blue Point at home.
    I think you can get a Fluke off Amazon for $120 but I’ve seen professionals use Milwaukee, Klein etc

jigs-n-fixture and dango like this.
  11. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

if you compare a Fluke to a precision voltage source - laboratory test equipment, calibration traceable to NIST standards - the reading is identical. same thing with resistor substitution boxes.

if you are trained to a high standard, and accustomed to high standard equipment, you just will not accept less. it's a Snap On versus Chicago Pneumatics situation.

primer1 and dango like this.
  12. dango

I am a jerk of all trades , master of NONE........SO I'm thinking more in the line of $50-ish give or take .....?

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Rifling82

dango likes this.
  14. Rifling82

Klein is a good brand, plus that comes with the static tester which are really handy

dango likes this.
  15. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used Dynatel, JDSU, and Fluke meters. You learn to like what you’re used to.

dango likes this.
  16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Dango check Amazon I think you'll find what you want. ;)

dango likes this.
  17. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Fluke user here. Can't speak to other brands as I've only used Fluke professionally. Mine's about 30 years old and still going.

oO_Rogue_Oo and dango like this.
  18. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I've got 2 craftsman ones that i bought 15 years ago, a basic one at home, one with the ampere loop at work. Neither one cost me more than $20 & are good enough for most anything you'll ever need.

Hell i've got an analog one i built from a kit in college that cost me less than $10 20 years ago & it still works just fine.

If you're just checking continuity or voltage, the harbor freight ones should do you just fine.

dango, austin92 and Rifling82 like this.
  19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a Craftsman around 15 years ago. It worked great until the readout screen started getting what looks like micro cracks in it. The screen got worse over time, and I couldn't read it at all three years ago.

A bought a generic Chinese multimeter low mein at harbor freight, and it hasn't let me down. After reading all the responses here about flukes, I want to take it to work and compare it's accuracy to the the flukes that all the electricians use.

dango and austin92 like this.
  20. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Speaking of Klein, their tools are the best, especially screwdrivers. I might consider a multimeter from them, if that's what was available at the time.

Home Depot sells Klein.

dango likes this.