Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by LikeABoss, Apr 16, 2012.

1. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

I am a NOOB to this forum and I resurrected a 3 year old thread and the moderation around this place closed it, why is resurrecting threads a bad thing? Lots of people chatting on the old thread but moderation closed it, why? If members of forum want the resurrection, why restrict it by closing it? I don't get it.

:cool:

Anyway, back to the DE....the power and lack of expected recoil is amazing!

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you resurrect an old thread, some folks get annoyed. If you start a new thread about an already discussed subject, some (often the very same) folks take offense. Go figure.

DE's are interesting but terribly impractical guns in my opinion. Unless of course you have monsterous hands. If I want 44mag+ power in a pistol, I'll opt for revolver. If I want substantial semi-auto power, I'd simply prefer a more affordable, practical, and higher capacity gun like a Glock 20 (10mm).

3. LikeABoss

Yea, go figure, fickle bunch of gun toting savages!

:D

It's a novelty for me and just plain fun to shoot. I will reach for my .40 S&W or .45 ACP if I need to protect myself.

I wanted my next purchase to be a big caliber, I looked at 10mm, only a couple manufacturers out there, came down to a Kimber and a Glock, already have a Glock 21, didn't want another. The Kimber's are really nice, then started reading about it being a dead caliber and assumed the price and availability of ammo would continue to increase exponentially with manufacturers deciding not to produce at all or in the masses. I can't handle more than a box or so from my Ruger GP 100, kills my hand, so didn't want another revolver.

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yes, it often seems on this forum we are only allowed to discuss topics which are approved by certain people, some people like to feel important so they have to throw their weight around internet forums. It is annoying, I guess we are not allowed to discuss things which were discussed before nor are we allowed to start a new topic about the subject because it is redundant. Some people would prefer this to be a online reference rather than a social forum, which is why you may have been told to search previous threads. As far as I'm concerned discuss whatever you like and if they don't like it they have the choice to not click on the thread and read it's contents. I have always been curious about the Desert Eagle but have never had the opportunity to shoot one, I don't know of anyone who owns one. I do think they are more of a specialty type item than a useful one though just as sweeper22 said, there are practical sized autos out there with some good spank to em.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

So let's see... when was this thread started... this morning, eh... I guess we'll let this one stand.

Attached Files:

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have had brief thoughts of purchasing a Desert Eagle. But then I realize that there are better things to do with my money.

7. Polygon

Polygon New Member

My thoughts exactly. In fact, that's what I did. I just bought me a S&W M29. If I'm going to buy a .44 magnum it's going to be a revolver. Conversely, if I'm going to buy a DE it's going to be a .50 caliber.

8. LikeABoss

DE platform is a beautiful thing, .44 and .50 use same slide and bolt. Add $500 for a barrel and a couple clips and you have both, barrel can be changed out in less than 20 seconds. No place to shoot a .50 around here for me, when I find some place to shoot it, I'll buy the barrel and the clips. Same platform can switch to a .357 but need barrel, clip, and bolt. Not recommended from what I hear, apparently most .357 DE's need ramp work from a gun smith because the .357 round does not have enough power to cycle the slide.

9. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I bought my 50AE simply because I could afford it at the time and it was (still is) just plain unnecessary! Practical? Hell no! I just love the noise and fire when I shoot that thing! I get a huge kick out of others at the indoor range when I touch that thing off. All other shooting generally stops and people are asking WTF? No I'm not an attention hound nor am I "compensating" for anything, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, period. I sometimes carry it when I'm hunting and if the opportunity ever shows up, I'd like to shoot a deer or please! A black bear with it. It's surprisingly accurate and if you hand load the ammo isn't all that expensive.

10. LikeABoss

At range today with .44, the range fella knew I had a DE, he inspected it!

The entire range had three stalls full, he put me right between two other couples, I had to chuckle at his bad placement decision. So with my little ear plugs under my big ears I started unloading. Yes, I realized the blast is disruptive, yes, I noticed their targets were blowing around, was that my problem or range managements problem? The range fella, came out, asked me to move down to the lane at the end because the others couldn't concentrate! BTW, they were not competitive shooters

Hope if any bad guys ever come after them they are polite and don't make too much noise.

Oh, C'MON!

11. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

LOL! I has a similar thing happen when I was sighting in my 450 Bushmaster with a muzzle break. A couple came to the point next to me (this was an outdoor range) and I heard the girl say she didn't want to be there because "that thing scares the crap out of me!". I was about done for the day anyway but geeze! You're at a shooting range!
    Most people ask if they can shoot the DE, they seem fascinated by it.

12. Polygon

Polygon New Member

That's very interesting. I didn't know that.

I remember going to the range quite some time back, probably eight years or so. I was there shooting a Beretta 9mm when I hear this cannon go off. It caused me pants to vibrate. I stopped shooting immediately to see what it was. Here was this guy with a nickle plated DE .50 caliber. Cause the targets in the other lane to blow in the wake of his muzzle flash.

It was incredible. I've always wanted one since then, for exactly the reasons you love yours. I think it would be a fun gun to shoot. It's certainly on my wish list. But I'll take mine in black. :D

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

And if some guy would have set down next to you with a 460 or 500 revolver maybe even your big bad 44 you would have been complaining for him to move. Nothing like the slap you get from a larger bore revolver when you sit beside it. Even a 357mag loaded hot is harder on the ears than a 44mag. If the guys next to you were shooting rifles ,yea have a handgun ringing in your ear ain't cool. Remember your sitting behind it, not next to it. Range officer should have none better than to stack up shooters on an almost empty range. Try some 340gr +p+ rounds in your de then your stepping it up some.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Let's dismiss a couple fallacies first:

1. You must keep a DE scrupulously clean, even to the point

of field-stripping, cleaning and oiling it after 50 shots at the range.

2.-IME-they don't jam, if you do your job. Which isn't as

easy as, say, "doing your job" with a 9mm Glock.

3. IF you do your job, and also aim well, they are

faultlessly accurate.

That said, I get no better enjoyment from any other gun I

have. It kicks out a hilarious fireball with WWB ammo, and with

a box of the good stuff, it's like savoring a fine brandy.

I CC this gun sometimes, because I can't even imagine

a BGs reaction when this thunderous hand cannon begins

to roar. It makes most other pistols, 1911A1s included,

seem small by comparison. IMO, it probably helps if you're

a big guy, because mine fills my hand beautifully.

The DE44 is a great conversation starter at the range.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy trying

other peoples guns at the range, and somebody always

wants to try out the DE44.:)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  15. mcb

mcb New Member

I agree with the above post its fun to have a conversation starter.

I had an AMT Automag III 30 Carbine. No real purpose but because the round was designed for a longer barrel it shot a ball of fire with every shot. Always drew a crowd at the range. I currently have a 30 Carbine Blackhawk same deal no purpose just fun.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've done the range with guys shooting H&H magnums, you can literally

feel a breeze from the shock waves, not to mention the

noise. I feel sorry for that guy's shoulder, later in the day.

And, yes, there are definitely larger caliber pistols out there.

My DE44 serves a dual purpose. It's a pistol

match-up with my .44 Marlin 1894 for boar hunting, as well as my

"guilty pleasure" gun.

17. LikeABoss

Someone wants to bring a bigger gun, i say bring it! Not going to blow up my gun with the 340gr +p+ but thank you for the suggestion. Anyone has a gun I can shoot this ammo out of, bring it and I will shoot it until my hand is numb, repeat and do it again.

18. Morgo

Morgo New Member

I've owned a .357 Model for many years now. They are excellent "fun guns" they are also highly accurate and perfectly reliable. Someday soon I plan on adding a .44 mag version.

19. Morgo

Morgo New Member

This combo split between two shooters usually draws quite the crowd :)

[​IMG]

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

This is the some what rare LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag. it also has a .357 Mag. Conv. unit. It is a super sized 1911 pistol. These are very popular in big bear country.:eek:

[​IMG]