lets talk about the taurus pt-25

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by trstncmpbll, Jan 25, 2010.

1. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

So I traded an old shotgun for one and I've read a ton on them, its almost a hit or miss gun where some peoples are reliable and great or garbage. And I got lucky. People say that they can't move the slide or the ammo doesn't feed and here's what I found out with mine. My slide only moves when its loaded and the safety is off and cci ammo feeds great. The gun is easy to pull a part and stays pretty clean.
    But people are saying a 22 has more stopping power that this 25. My wife loves the gun and it will be hers. Hopefully I taught her well so her shot placement is dead on but how do you all feel about this gun. She's always with me, but when she's not should I go get her something bigger like a ruger lcp, but she hates bigger guns because she's thiny and hates recoil. So I don't think shed want to carry bigger. But with good shot placement will this protect her?
    Thank you all much

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No doubt people have been killed with a .25. I wouldn't trust it to stop someone no more than the man on the moon. A guy I went to school was shot twice in the chest with a .25 at point blank range before the gun jammed. He was wearing layered clothing and a leather jecket. NONE of the rounds penetrated his skin.
    He came back to school the next week with a new nickname, "bullteproof."

Seriously, teach her proper shooting ergo's like grip and stance. If my 8yr old can shoot my 12 guage then a lady can shoot a .45. Compromise and get her a good 38sp or 9mm.

Best of luck, but I would prefer a taser or stun gun over a tiny caliber handgun.

3. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

Yeah she may be getting something bigger she just likes the idea of the pink grips. But I'm going to take it to the mountains this next weekend and blow its brains out. Its such a fun little pistol

4. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

Ill have her carry my ruger gp100. That'll ruin anyones day haha

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Lots of pink guns out there that will suit her. Charter arms makes a 38, S&W makes a 38, etc.....

GP100 for her carry? :eek:

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Forget the pink. A handgun is not a fashion accessory.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

get her a nice 380 then take it and have it duracoated pink. .22 long rifle is a far far far more effective round as are CO2 powered BB guns than .25 auto...

8. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

To her its all about the pink. I may just get her a ruger lcp. But it seems like any sub-compact out there isn't fully reliable. Maybe she can cram a 1911 or an xdm in her purse

9. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

You could get her the SP101 in the new .327 Federal cartridge. If what the online magazines are saying is true, you have near 9mm Luger energy with .357 Mag penetration and .380 ACP recoil. Plus, it gives you six shots in a J-frame instead of only 5.

I haven't actually tried one, but if anyone has, I'd like to know how it was.

10. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

Dang I'm going to look into that. I need to ween her into big guns. My ruger is "scary" she says

11. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Again, I haven't tried it. There are a good number of people around here who don't go below .45 for self-defense, but almost everyone agrees that .32 is too small. However, Chuck Hawks, a pretty reliable source for all things firearms, said that self defense is a "legitimate application" for the cartridge, and it's capable of 15-inch gel penetration with a 115 gr bullet (Guns & Ammo), plenty for self-defense.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Carrying a FIREARM is serious business, and it should not be taken lightly. Nor should it be thought of as a fashion accessory.

If it's all about the pink, I say forget handgun and get her a pink blouse and some pepper spray.

13. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

The .45ACP thing is just that, a thing. I'm not knocking the cartridge, but it is not the end all of all things. The old saying, "they all fall to hard ball", came about from the 1911 .45. But, it's just not true. Nor was it ever!

With modern ammunition, the 9mm can hold it's own with no appologies in this world. The new .327 Federal is a near match for the 9mm in a revolver. Even current .38 and .38+P ammunition can really ruin your day.

The .25 ACP is a long way down on the power curve and really shouldn't be counted on as a viable defense round. But it beats yelling or spitting at them. The .22LR isn't a whole lot better. But the same goes.

Small revolvers with .38 and .38+P ammo bark and sting. Small revolvers with .357M flat hurt. Small autos of 9mm and up, can also be a handful, depending on the person. And even the "Manly" types that can "handle" them, don't shoot them a lot.

My son-in-law recently bought one of the new Taurus 380 mini guns. He was a little surprised at the ferocity of that one as well. He normally carries an S&W 5906. But, he will keep the Taurus for those times when he simply can't pack the Smith.

No, take her out and let her try some of the smaller, not lightweight or ultra-lightweight .38 revolvers using standard 38s and maybe some +Ps. See how she does. If she's not going to carry it, get her a .38 or .357 K-Frame, or equivalent, and then load it with .38+Ps. It'll do right by her if she does right by it.

The .327 in the Ruger SP-101 provides 6-shots of near 9mm power in a small, easily handled weapon.

Good Luck!

SgtSam

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Have her shoot one before you waste $300+. Horrible trigger and a mile long.
    Sig P238 is my new favorite pocketgun. Check one of them out.

Purse carry......is better than no carry. But is her purse going to be on her @ all times?

Ummmm...... 327 Fed Mag EXCEEDS 9mm values. Energy values are nearly identical to .40s&w.

*through a little deeper look, some of the 100gr .327 compared to 130gr 357 mag....

.........327 357

FPS 1500 1410
    FT #'s 500 574

Thereby kicking the snot out of the ol 9mm

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  15. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Thoroughly-reasearched as usual, Will, thanks.

For the OP: If I had to pick a small-bore carry, it'd be a Kel Tec PMR 30. 30 rounds of 22 Win Mag in a flush-fit magazine, and the whole package is only an inch wide. 22 WMR has significantly better stopping power than either the 22 LR or even the 25 Auto. Makes a big bang, but doesn't recoil much.

16. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

The .25 can be quite deadly, and has very good penetration. It is a centerfire cartridge and more reliable than a rimfire-both in feeding and firing. The .25 actually has more velocity and energy than a .22lr from a 2" barrel.
    Shot placement is paramount with any handgun-even a .45. If your wife likes the gun, that's all that matters.

17. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

To be honest with you i dont trust any gun made by taurus but thats just me. On top of that .25 acp is not very suitable for self defence IMO. At most it can be used as a extreme close quarters with head shots to blind and distort the attacker and allow yourself to excape danger... just my opinion...

18. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to publicly state that a .25 will only blind or disorient someone is totally irresponsible. You are absolutely wrong!

19. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

One of those guys..............