Let's justify the $300 price difference on these two firearms.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by tcraig23, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Ruger LCR w/Crimson Trace Laser. $600
    Smith & Wessn M&P340 CT, Crimson Trace Grip. $900

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Can you be more specific? LCR in .38+p vs M&P340 in .357 mag?

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would think that when the LCR357 comes available and equipped with the CT, you will probably see the price difference shrink. S&W is .357 and the LCR is .38spc.

That is my only guess.

4. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Sorry, yes, it is 38+p vs. 357 mag. As I research this, I notice Ruger is coming out with the 357 now for their LCR line. I would imagine the crimson trace grip will be out soon after. So let's compare apple to apples.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You are comparing apples to oranges IMO. A 38 to a 357 isn't a comparison. If you load them both with the same round I think it's an opinion issue at that point. The smith uses much more expensive matrials and the Rugers may have a one up on the smith with its cammed trigger. Again, that is only preference.

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

"DING!!!!" A .38 ain't ever gonn'a be a .357, no matter what the calipers say.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Smith's are usually more expensive anyway, but the caliber difference is the price difference here too.

8. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

All true, but the new Ruger LCR 357 mag. is listed at the same MSRP as this 38.

9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I love my Rugers to death, but Smith's are nicer guns, not as solid, but just plain sweet.

I agree that it is comparing apples to oranges.

Smiths always run higher than Rugers and if you desire a finer, smoother firearm, then it's worth it.

Anybody who knows me, knows I'm a BIG Ruger fan. They both have their place in my safe! ;)

10. Dave T

Dave T New Member

The smart alick answer would be...if you want that much more recoil in your hand you have to pay for it.

A more serious answer would be that historically Rugers of similar designs have been cheeper than a similar offering from S&W.

Dave