Lets Campaign For A New Voter Initiative!

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Jesse17, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

So, I don't think there is any procedure for Voter Initiatives on the Federal level, but what if all 50 states (or the majority of them) passed voter initiatives that read something like:

What do y'all think? I threw in the last line so it won't be overturned by liberal judges before it can go into effect. :p

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

We have the initiative program here and it is a nightmare. The Courts regularly intervene and disallow duly voted and passed initiatives. Then too, the people who write them make them so arcane to read, that sometimes you have to vote no to actually vote yes or vice versa. Millions of dollars are spent on dueling propositions that are confusing and often partisan. The end result is always the same; more cost to taxpayers and more bureaucracy and regulation.

Only in California. :rolleyes:

3. opaww

opaww New Member

I like the idea but reality is it will never happen

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

..............:(

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Nope. I understand what you're after - killing Congressional votes from reps that conflict with the will of their constituents, and killing pork. But that's not how our system works.

In this country, democracy ends when a representative is elected. From that moment on, the choice of how to vote is solely that of the elected individual.

That's why it's so damn important to vet a candidate.

6. freefall

freefall New Member

We too have voter initiatives. They're always expensive and confusing, generally disastrous, and the legislature can overturn them in two years so all the sound and fury was for naught.