lets be heard! we want an ar type rifle in 30-06

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by powg, Nov 22, 2010.

1. powg

powg New Member

ok guys this is gonna take some effort ,but it can be done ....lets see support for an ar type 30-06...send emails to mfg's ! ive already went to rugers site ....email ceo, they want input,other mfg's ....do the same ... i want a ar 30-06! and so do you!

2. orangello

orangello New Member

So it would be like a M-1 Garand, but nail-friendly loading, lighter weight, and more follow up shots for the lady shooter, right?
    ;)

Just kidding, put the torches & pitchforks away.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

308 is pretty identical to the 30-06. the 30-06 is a slightly better cartridge for reloaders due to extra case capacity. heavier bullets for the larger north american species are a plus over the 308 as well. i dont think your going to see it however. the 308 ar10 all the dev and engineering work was already accomplished by colt and stoner so bringing it to life in the civilian world was a easy cheap no brainer when the patents expired.

doing the same for the 30-06 would liekly require re-engineering the lower yet again.

because the two rounds are so close i dont think your gonna see it.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sorry to say!
    But I do not think you will ever see one in the AR Platform.
    Keeping in mind that the receivers, bolt assembly of the 308 ARs had to be totally redesigned and are larger than the 5.56 receiver and bolt carrier groups.
    Other issues as with bolt action rifles the 30-06 requires a long action compared to the ability of the 308 bolt rifle being able to use the short action. This would force the receiver to be excessive in size if it were to be designed in the AR Platform. Not to mention that it would also even be heavier than the present production 308 ARs which are much heavier than the standard 5.56/223.
    Just do not think you will see one anytime close if ever.

5. powg

powg New Member

308=30-06

agreed ,that they are almost identical. but the greatest difference is a wider range of factory loadings .. from 55grn accelarator up to 220 grn. plus being a long action ,sets the stage for revisions in 25-06 .270,280, even magnums 7mm,300 etc

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No longer being made by Cobb as they have been purchased by Bushmaster who may, or may not, continue the weapon. :(

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yes, I know. But they have been developed and are out there.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I want one in 25-06 and 280 rem. That would be epic coolness right there man. I love me a 25-06 and would love to have an AR style rifle in it. As long as I can get it as accurate as my current AR.

10. joncutter42

joncutter42 New Member

30-06 ar

I have a mag that says the Remington R25 that is currently available in .243,.308,.7mm08 and will be available in 30-06 and 270 some time in 2011. I'ts being marketed as a AR based hunting rifle. I'm already saving up for one.

11. kimberkid

kimberkid New Member

Isn't Bushmaster now owned by Cerberus ... same people that own DPMS and Remington?

12. peabody

peabody New Member

olympic arms makes an upper with 30-06 balistics, on the ar-15 platform.

13. peabody

peabody New Member

yes.same company

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

They (Cerberus) is also known now days as the Freedom Group. And many of it's corporate directors are gun people! Thank God! I think they just bought Barnes Ammunition Company also recently.
    I know that ATK who also owns Federal and a few other companies just bought Blackhawk and I understand Eagle same products as Blackhawk. L-3 EOTech bought Litton makers of NV and Thermal optics and other produces as well as Insight Technology recently. A lot of buying going on today in the industry. Doesn't mean it is bad! It's just what is happening around the industry.

15. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 New Member

That would be the .300 Olympic Super Short Magnum. Very interesting cartridge. I want!

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Cerberus, like once-bought-Dodge cerberus? Weird!

edit*Wikipedia agrees.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  18. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 New Member

19. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Member

30-06 would be a bit long for the AR platform for chambering. I used to have an AK-47 in .308 winchester, and at times wisht I hadn't sold it. It was solid, shot great groups, easy to hand load for, held 25 rounds in the magazine, and if needed, it would make cover disappear.
    Truthfully, for the cash money, I'd rather invest back into the Saiga .308 in the 16" barrel and do the conversion all over again to get it to the status it "should" have been. It has a very strong and reliable piston sysem with a 3 lug bolt, which I don't think the gas DI system of the 30-06 would be as reliable in that flavor.

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Ignorance is Bliss

30 ought 6..... Is this the same as the B A R . Bonny and Clyde's Go to weapon...........