Let the wait begin.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by scott_gen, Feb 28, 2012.

1. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Found my first handgun Saturday and had to put it on layaway because my pockets just aren't that deep. I put a deposit on a Springfield 1911 Mil spec. Very nice looking handgun and can't wait to bring it home. The blurry picture of the 2 I'm attaching is the actual gun but I also found a stock online picture of the exact same handgun, down to the grips. Man I can't wait.....

Attached Files:

2. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Sorry, THIS is the stock photo of my gun.

Attached Files:

3. spenc

spenc New Member

Very nice.. I would like to pick one of those up for myself sometime in the near future

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great choice, now can you wait?

We will wait with you for the big event and range report! [​IMG]

5. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

It's ALWAYS a wait here in RI. 7 days everytime you purchase a firearm. This one is extra special to me. That's why I had the guy let me get a photo of it before he put it away! HA!

6. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

@Spenc - I wanted my first purchase to be a solid one. Based on all the reviews I've read, 1911 was the smart choice. Even though it commands a steep price tag, it's my understanding that it's worth every penny.

7. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

Looking good. Let us know how she shoots!

8. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

You can't go wrong with this gun...is the mag cap 7 or 8?

9. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I believe it was seven? I'm prolly wrong but everything happened so quickly!

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

You will want more mags and can buy 7, 8, or extended 10 rd mags for it.

11. xring3

xring3 Member

7 days wait in RI...............that's why I like Oklahoma.......plunk money down, background check while you wait, take it home.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

12. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Haha, Georgia is like that too. When you have the money and know what you want you can put your first round through your gun (pistol or rifle) ten minutes after you walk in the gun store. If they have an indoor range it's more like five...lol.

13. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Well ladies and gentlemen, after about 5 weeks of scrimping and saving, feeding my kids knock off versions of cereal every meal and creative financing....my long awaited 1911 purchase will be a reality on 4-2. Picking that bad boy up on Monday!!!! 5 DAYS BABY!!!

(I didn't really feed my kids cereal every meal)

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wow, I'm glad April fool's day is on a Sunday this year!

We wait with you!

15. fireguy

fireguy New Member

The world's longest wait is started for you. I don't know if I could do that. Putting money on a gun that is in stock and waiting a week for it. Sorry it has to be that way for you.

16. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

(insert ear to ear smile here)

Attached Files:

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

That's a sweet lookin' pistol...Congrats!

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's one handsome pistol Scott!

Now go get 'er dirty! [​IMG]

19. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Thank you gentlemen, just stopped fondling it....I don't remember being this excited about anything.

Hey Cane, is there such a piece for the 1911 models that is a full length guide rod that DOESN'T need an allen wrench to start the "takedown? Mine currently does not need an allen wrench but it doesnt have a full length guide rod. Not sure why but I like that look of the full length. Are there any benefits to the full length or is it just for looks?
    (I hope I asked that correctly)

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I find no need for the full length rod. If you want one I see the cost to be the only decision maker.

All FLGRs I've encountered require a wrench for take down. This is fine for a range gun but I'd never have one on my PD gun.

Shoot the newness out of it before you go makin' changes and you may find you like it just the way the engineers designed it. [​IMG]

The only thing I would need to do to that puppy would be the installation of a long trigger. You look like you got some big meat hooks and even with the arched MSH you could use a tad more distance to get the pad of your booger hook on the sweet spot. (And to stay old school, I'd put a solid long back in.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012