Let me know how that works out.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, Oct 16, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

When attempting to look up information on a question that came to mind, I came across a thread on another forum discussing what firearms were the best for protection against bears (what an original topic).

One person posted that he would choose a .357 magnum loaded with "wadcutters". Okay. Mebbe he was suicidal and carried a lot of life insurance. Or maybe he was talking about a "keith" type bullet.

I don't know why lately I'm seeing a lot of misunderstanding about what I wadcutter is. Seems pretty simple to me. However, how many here know what a typical "keith" load would be like? It's cheating if you look on the internet.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Wait just a minute there, aren't I already looking on the internet?:D

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Sigh. It's cheating if you have to LOOK UP what a Keith type bullet is.

I can tell already, it's going to be one of those days.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have forgotten. I assume you speak of Elmer. I've read most of his books that I can find.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Keith was a proponent of a heavy, hard cast Semi-wadcutter bullet with a cutting shoulder designe, pushed pretty fast, and his heavy .44 special loads were instrumental in delveloping the .44 magnum. Pretty sure his signature .44 bullet mold from Lyman drops a 240 or 250 grain bullet if my memory serves me.

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

DING DING DING We have a winner.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

He was right but its nothing new. Only new in terms of handguns. The dangerous game recipe has always been big heavy hard fast bullets. All Keith did was translate that to handguns.

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'd have to look it up, but I seem to remember Skeeter Skelton being a fan of a hard cast, keith type bullet also, for the .357.

Mebbe I'm being too elitist, but I was amazed that this poster elsewhere made the comment about a .357 loaded with wadcutters being his choice for bear, and nobody asked him whether he REALLY meant wadcutters.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I remember when my father and I would cast bullets, back when I was a teen, he used a combination of wheel weights and linotype metal (he actually owned a linotype them). Made a nice, hard bullet.

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

He was probably counting on the increase in hydrostatic shock caused by the flat face of the wadcutter once the projectile exited his snubby.

On a more serious note, have you ever tried loading a hollow based wadcutter backwards with a gas check?

11. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I've seen it over and over again. People who actually live in bear country and deal with bears never recommend anything smaller than a .44 Magnum for a sidearm. Then they immediately tell you that you shouldn't only have just a sidearm if you think you'll actually encounter a bear.

As far as I'm concerned, the locals are the experts in this matter. I have yet to meet or interact with anyone from "bear country" that thinks ANYTHING in .357 Magnum is a good idea. That alone makes me thankful there are no bears around here.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If using the hollow base wad cutters, he probably handloaded them backwards to use as a cheap hollow point.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

What else is new, ya liberal cigar puffing snob?

Just kidding.

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

That was the load I carried in my Chief's Special.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I used one in .357 mag to slaughter one of my boss's hogs. Very impressive. Too bad you can't use them today without getting a jury all over your butt.

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Bah. Use what you wanna use. If deadly force was justified then in the end it's not gonna matter what round you used. The prosecutor will try find a way to make you look like a vigilante psycho no matter what you do. Thats his job.

If it looked like it was REALLY going to be a problem: "those are the rounds I use when I go hunting because they're inexpensive for me to make and they do a good job on hogs. I must have forgotten to change them out for my self defense ammo last time I was on the deer stand."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If this was a more conservative county I would go along with what you are saying. Unfortunately we are so liberal I'm almost afraid to put black grips on my firearms. Believe it or not, there has even been some discussion about disarming our LEOs because it works so well in England. Thankfully that one didn't go far. One good case of blue flu and it was all but forgotten.

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

The jury selection process is still designed to weed out anti gun freaks in these cases. Keep in mind, your defense attorney has to approve of all of your jurors.

20. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

But I have a couple of 357 magnums, and I've never seen a bear 'round these parts. It MUST work.