let me ask this

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gnoll, Apr 2, 2008.

1. gnoll

gnoll New Member

the method of home building you would use if you had no home depo????

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

3. Chester

Chester New Member

Find a cave, Nah I'd prolly cut my own wood.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I can't really see where the question is headed to be honest. :confused:

Like, if there was never a home improvement store? Or, like Katrina and Home Depot is out of everything?

People built castles and pyramids and all sorts of places to stay and rest their head since the dawn of time without the help of your local home improvement center.

I imagine a certain number of us would find caves, take shelter from natural surroundings, build lean-toos, move someplace more conducent to human existance ( tropical ). The rest would probably die along the way. :D

D

5. gnoll

gnoll New Member

i see some 1 thought about this one
    well man has been building homes out of alot of thins for a long time and this was a loaded ???
    castles and pyramids ?
    castles were not really homes for the average dude
    pyramids were tombs
    and you did not build a cave
    so nun was a good answer
    now lean-toos thats good would not have thought of that for a home
    now keep testing the waters
    any one ever herd of rammed earth or adobe maby an igloo
    well constructive but not creative all still good answers guys

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  6. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

That's too easy! I'll go to the lowes across the street

7. gnoll

gnoll New Member

ok that 1 needs explaining

8. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

Chain saw, a few days work, and walha! a log cabin. Building a shelter out of branches and mud can be done also. Are you talking a fallout or temp housing?

9. GlenJohnson

GlenJohnson New Member

First off, depends on where you live. Me, I'm lucky. Northern Florida, land of about a billion trees, lot's of them skinny enough to chop down by hand and make any kind of house you want with, as long as there one story and you don't want a basement. Far enough away from the coast not to deal with major storms. Far enough north, we don't deal with the tropical heat of, say, Miami. Sure, it get's really cold in winter, but remember all them trees, they make great fires. (But not to cold. There was a reason we left northern Illinois, it was way to darn cold up there.) :D

10. gnoll

gnoll New Member

just a house nothing special but wanted opinions and to see

11. gnoll

gnoll New Member

put this one in the wrong place should have been in survival

12. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

Gnoll, I was making a joke. Lowes is Home Depot's main Competition. Lowes and Home Depots seem to always be right next to each other. I guess if your talking survival, I would try to scavenge building materials.

13. watfreedom

watfreedom New Member

for me it depends on how permanent i want the shelter to be. or the region. i would use some of all of these (stone, mud, wood, plants, garbage/man made debris, snow, etc.) if i were moving every day i would use my tent or plants/sticks.

14. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I've lived out of a hole and they're quite comfortable if you take the time to work on them. 3 dudes in a 10'x10'x8' hole work pretty well until the long range rations give you the farts.

15. gnoll

gnoll New Member

i dont think id want to be in that hole when the farts start lol:eek:

16. gnoll

gnoll New Member

ok i get it now missed it the last time but now that i read it slower and had you explain took me 10 min to post back thanxs for the laf