Less Lethal, but still with a serious punch??

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dillinger, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

JD has a bit of a problem, and in this area I have limited knowledge, because I don't believe in "less lethal" responses'. Sorry.

Not politically correct I know, and I apologize, but this is the reason for this thread.

Household Six got a new job. This one involves travel. At the end of the month she is to travel to Chicago and spend a week, or so, in the Windy City.

Now I have no delusions that she won't be staying in a good area, she is traveling with the CEO of the company, but I still worry about her in areas where she can't carry.

She has a Kimber Life Act. We actually bought two and had her test one on a target at the range so she knows what to expect.

Recently Kimber introduced the PepperBlaster II, which is a modified version of the Life Act.

I am wondering from my friends here in Law Enforcement, Self Defense, Border ( Scubie / Glass ) is there a better product out there that a civilian can purchase?

I don't want to go with anything that can not be purchased by a legal "citizen" of Washington state, so while I know my military guys will offer up something that isn't available to us lonely mopes yet and I thank them on bended knee, I am looking for OTC solutions.

Anyone??

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I know this doesn't help much but maybe some Tango in a can.

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I've heard hornet and wasp spray works very good but haven't tested that theory.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I can attest that it is not an enjoyable experience (and no I was not deserving of it, it was an accident :eek: )

How's about a collapsible baton - Telescopic Steel Batons - Expandable 16, 21, 26 inch baton or some weighted gloves - SAP Gloves - Gloves with steel shot in the knuckles

I would recommend a taser/stun gun, even if it is illegal in the area. Better to have Household 6 alive than not. :cool:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hate to bring this up, but she cannot travel by air with any sort of defense spray- not on person, not in carry on, and not in checked baggage.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

oriented more towards escape and evade than combat. check luggage safe. its about 9 inches long and can easily fit in a purse.

might think about something like this:

[​IMG]

SureFire M3LT-S CombatLight®

unfortunately all non-lethal options pretty much suck. nothing will stop a determined attacker but multi layer your non lethal defenses might help. combine the light with some sort of personal extremely loud alarm device. might have a better chance to escape with good situational awareness. smoking and joking in a hostile zone is a good way to get caught by surprise.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, it works surprisingly well and provides a painful distraction to allow E&E.

It is very accessible. She could pick up a can of it after she touches ground, at most drug and grocery stores.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Defending yourself at home with whatever is at hand is one thing, carrying insect poison in a purse with intent to use on another is a defense nightmare. A lot of the common bug sprays are derivatives of nazi gas research. I wouldn't do it on purpose.

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I know it's not a giant idea but I large tub sock full of batteries works pretty well.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Jon...you worry to much.

Wasps and hornets are everywhere and some people are very allergic to their painful stings, and they can be lethal. Besides, it's only a temporary OTC defense solution that can be disposed of before the return home.

We are talking about a woman defending herself from a possible brutal attack here. The only nightmare in this situation will belong to the one on the receiving end of that spray.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Couldn't she just buy a can of pepper spray when she touches down? I don't know of a better option that she can check or take with her.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Sorry accidentally hit thumb down trying to do quote. My touch screen made me miss. Anyway your prolly right. I do wory too much heh.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Airline rules mess up everything. Alternative weapons. A long time ago women wore hats and very large hat pins. The pins were not just meant to keep the hat on. I have also seen ladies wear what looks like very fancy chopsticks in a hair bun. Again not just for decoration. My mother had an umbrella with a very fancy carved ivory handle. When the handle was pulled off there was a knife blade attached to it. I have seen other umbrellas that were designed to be defensive weapons. Canes and walking sticks can be formidable weapons with some good training. Cane swords are usually illegal because of length and concealment. Can a knife be carried in checked baggage? Something like a CKRT Bearclaw. Very nasty little fighting knife. Gets around most blade length requirements. Otherwise look into picking up something disposable after she lands. Lots of cheap knives around. There is a very small pepper spray can that is pretty nasty. It is called Whoop Ass if you can find it and comes in a small holster. I keep one on my bicycle. The sprays are one use only so it does not need to be big. Lots of other alternatives out there.

15. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Checked baggage too?!?!?!? I obviously understand carry on and not on person but what is the rational in not allowing in the checked?

For my wife, I prefer the pepper spray with tear gas and UV dye.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Actaully the Kimber Life Act has been packed in her bag, for every trip we have made, for the past three years. Cruise ships, Mexico, the Caymans and within the US. Never had an issue with it being in the checked baggage and several bags have had "inspection notification" tags on them when we have retrieved them.

In any event, back to the question at hand:

This would have to be a purse item and something light, but with chemical impact from a good distance (5 to 7 yards preferred).

Bear spray and wasp spray at excellent choices, but come in large, matel cans that aren't exactly going to be convienent to retrieve stealthly from said purse should situational awareness spike.

Plus she is going to Chicago, a city KNOWN for their love the citizen to be able to protect one's self in time of need. *heavy sarcastic tone here*

I am just wondering if there is a new product that someone has heard of or if my boys and girls in blue have any input.

Thanks for the responses, the hunt continues....

JD

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

You can travel with pepper spray and stun guns. They have to be in your checked bags though. Pepper spray has to be less than 4oz, have less than 2% tear gas, and have a locking mechanism to prevent accidental discharge.

TSA Prohibited Items

May I suggest something by Fox Labs.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My Ninja!! :D

Have you used it or seen it used? Any first hand experience with it?

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would go with the taser and pepperspray. Spray first, then taze. Mainly, she needs to be taught basic safety awareness.

20. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Anything by Fox Labs is ridiculous - highly recommended. Sabre has more options for civilians, but a lot of their stuff is mixed with tear gas. Generally, whichever you buy is going to have 2 million Scoville Heat Units. Some also come with UV liquid which is very hard for the assailant to remove, thus making it really easy for police to identify the suspect.
    I personally throw one of these in my pocket where ever I go. Its pretty badass, but the main reason I buy it is because my local gun store carries them in bulk.