Les Baer

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tidalforce79, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Wow, I was looking at some of these guns, and they are expensive! are these weapons like super, top quality arms, or are you just paying for the name? Would you personally own one if you could? Do you own one, and what do you think?

TJ

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

When shopping for a new car, some folks choose a Kia and others choose a Mercedes. The high end 1911s like Baer, Wilson, Brown, and Nighthawk are fabulous guns - but they do cost a bunch. Some folks just prefer the quality of a hand fitted masterpiece to a mass market production gun...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

What's that old saying? If you have to ask..... :D

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have a TRS that I paid around $1,900 for, far from the most you can pay for a Baer. I have other 1911s that went for more than that, but the TRS stands up to them in just about every way.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, custom handmade, great fitting and tight tolerances, these are all very nice, high end and reliable 1911 guns. I would love to own one of each.

But, although nice to be able to have them, and the allowance to buy them, I still prefer mass market, common stock, ie., Springer, Colt, S&W, RIA twicked a bit, and shoot the hell out of them and carry them with confidence.

Also if push comes to shove, I would rather give up a low end model gun, through what ever circumstances, whether it be to a law enforcement investigation or forced confiscation or loss, it's a lot less painful hit to the wallet and my stable. :(

BTW, I own a 2006 Kia Amamti, it resembles a Jag, but more similar to a Mercedes. It was a helluva lot cheaper, it came loaded with all the top end comfort features, I have not had any problems with it and it is mechanically sound with 54,000 miles on her. I am as happy as a baby in a barrel full of titties! YMMV ;) :)

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Indeed Jack.

While I know the high end 1911s are truly special guns - all of mine are off the shelf Springers. (I'm also currently driving my wife's Hyundai)...

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I drive my Pinto every now and then but not every day.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It didn't happen without pix...

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Mmmmmm........Titties.....

11. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

For the longest time, I wanted an Ed Brown or Wilson. Shot and traded Springers, Colts and Paras because my income just could not catch up with my need for a super accurate, most reliable, ultimate 1911. Then BAM, I get word of a Baer Premiere II being sold to pay for a daughters wedding. Jumped on it for half what they are now. Patience payed off.

My Baer is TIGHT. The tightest 1911 I have ever seen. Maybe too tight, still not broke in yet. It comes with a 50 yard target with a 3/4" group punched in it. This indicates proof it has the 1 1/2" option. Have to admit this pistol has shown me the difference between hitting where you aim versus around the point of aim. If you get the chance to shoot one, keep your eyes open when the hammer falls and take note where it was pointed. There will be a hole there.

Looks, shine and overall finish is better on other pistols, imo. Baer did not go all out for a deep blue treatment on these. There are a couple of coating options available but mine is an okay blue. Okay with me cause the more I use it, the better it looks.

So far, my Premiere II has eat all kinds of ammo... hardballs, HPs and lots of +Ps. Have not tried any lead. My supply of magazines is diverse with some cheapies to authentic Wilson and Baer mags. They all feed flawlessly with the weird and old ammo I plink with. Somebody got the ramp angle just right. No complaints. Not saying other pistols won't do the same, just sharing my experience.

Since hooking up and shooting my Baer more and more over the last couple years, I have sold off a couple Paras, a Springer, a Colt and a RIA. Oddly enough, the very collection I used to play with quite often is slowly being passed along and not missed, at all. About to sell off a couple more. Now if I can find a rifle to satisfy me as well, I'd be GTG.

:)

12. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

My question then, is this, could I get one at a semi reasonable price lol

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*meekly raises hand* :eek:

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Depends on your definition of "reasonable" I guess.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If you are serious:

Send my good friend george@migunslingers.com an e-mail and discuss what you are looking for and what he has available. George is a very good man and he has a great deal through his shop where you can hold a pistol for a little down and get a year to pay it off with no interest. A little every payday and it will be home before you know it.

I am currently doing that with my latest pistol purchase and it should be home in November. :D

JD

16. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Well, if you want it right now, you will pay. If you save your money and wait until the right deal comes your way, you'll save big bucks.

Just for an idea... around TN the best price I've seen on a brand new Les Baer Premiere II was $1800 a couple months ago. A previously shot one in great shape went for $1500. I know there has to be better deals than that because I just bumped into those on the fly. Just gotta ask, make offers and be ready to jump.

That layaway plan sounds great.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  17. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Wow, this sounds very appealing to be honest with you, I may drop him a line : )

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

George is a good man. Tell him I sent you over and he will definitely take care of you. ;)

He has great prices, a very good pipeline to a lot of the top makers and he is very knowledgable.

JD

19. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

I admire sporty milk containers, is it the same???????:D

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I believe so....