LEO encounter

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by NGIB, Aug 25, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Had to run to Walmart yesterday afternoon after work for some junk. I was lazy so I had just clipped my Sig 239 in a paddle to my belt and had a t-shirt over it. Right when I pulled into the driveway, one of Hinesville's finest came roaring into the subdivision and parked his cruiser at the dead end of the road. He got out and started walking up the street - obviously looking for something.

Being interested, I hung out in the driveway waiting to see some excitement. He made his way towards my place and walked up to me and said good evening. He asked me if I had seen any "thugs" running though the neighborhood in the past few minutes. I said I had just got home and asked him what was going on. He said 3 punks had tried to rob a gas station a few blocks away (with knives) and the owner had pulled on them and they took off running.

He noticed I was strapped (not really concealed well) and asked me what it was. I told him and he said he carried one off-duty quite often. We chatted for about 10 minutes about guns and stuff (while he was scanning the area). We shook hands and as he was leaving he told me he wished more folks would take the time and effort to arm themselves as the world would be safer for everyone. This is how an encounter is supposed to go - and no, he didn't even ask to see my permit...

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Good story. I wish more cops out there were like that. There are several cops in my area that don't like the idea of citizens being armed and if you have a run in with them they make their thoughts known. Right or wrong they get away with it on a regular basis.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You want to know how an encounter in NYC would go? :(

Sounds like you have at least 1 decent minded LE in the area, congrats. :) Although I no longer live in NY I'm still a bit jaded when it comes to LEO's. Hell, just a couple weeks ago I had a run in with a meter maid (i know, not a real LEO) while subbing for a Super in Manhattan. F****r gave me a bull**** parking ticket - claimed I didn't have a "permit" when there was not a sign on the block requiring one and refused to toss it. He told me to take my argument up with Traffic Court, like i have time to go back into Manhattan at night for a ticket? :mad:

With work I haven't had time enough to meet many locals in Bennington yet. Of course if I could ever get some range time at the local club i joined most likely I would end up meeting most of the LEO's in town.

disclaimer - i don't want it to come off like I lump all LEO's together. i realize that their are many fine LEO's out there doing an incredible job under difficult circumstance so I do thank them for that. Unfortunately for me the bad experiences have far outweighed the good experiences.

I still like you Robo - even if you did claymor my front door! =)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spitty, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big OLD fella with a short haircut. You're correct though that many LEOs look at armed citizens as a bad thing...

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm just a skinny white guy with short hair. I guess it doesn't help that with a fresh hair cut and a shave I look like I'm 18 instead of 28.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Pretty typical encounter in the Southern States. In New England, that would have likely gone differently.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That IS a good story. My understanding was that MOST LEOs look upon CHL carriers favorably.....guess I'm naive!

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

North of the Mason-Dixon line I'd probably have been tazed & cuffed...

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Here where I live the LEO might just have asked you to help look. That is the difference of living in a small town.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most LEO I have met seem to like the idea. Good story!

11. Bighead

Bighead New Member

I think its mostly a regional thing. In places where firearms and concealed carry are generally looked up negatively, like back east, the police are made up of people from those areas. As such, you have more police with a negative attitude towards concealed carry.

In states like mine, where most people have a positive view of firearms and self-defense carry, you end up with more officers who have a positive attitude towards gun owners.

Almost all of the officers I know have a positive view of concealed carry holders. Now that doesn't mean that we trust an armed citizen that we don't know, and that is because we don't know them. You might be the best citizen in the world, but if I don't know you then I don't trust you.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

When I lived in Ohio I used to get crap on a pretty regular basis. That has been a while back though so it might be different now. Most the LEO up there didn't like the idea of citizens having a weapon period. I was told several times if I wanted a gun join the police. Down here in Ky it's pretty different depending where you're at. In my neck of the woods it's uncommon to see someone that does not have a weapon in their vehicle, home, on their person. But this is a small town. A couple of the more liberal college towns are much different. Just 18 miles north in Berea (small college) even with a permit you will more often than not be stopped and questioned and you don't want to attempt open carry.

It's pretty odd to me. Most the people I know that carry practice/train much more than any LEO. I would think knowing you had trained people out there would be a good thing. Things are what they are I guess.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

It's good to see that LEO's understand why someone wouldn't automatically trust them, just because of their badge, still don't know them. :)

14. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

You guys are a little off base with your comments about New England. I used to live in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (a part of New England)and the RKBA is highly respected there, even by the local law enforcement folks. Believe it or not, Vermont is a live and let live state, people in the main mind their own business. Unlike most states, Vermonters are not required to get the permission of someone from the state government before being able to CCW. The state constitution is very clear on the matter. And also in Vermont, the local ACLU chapter has always supported the ownership of military style (so called assault) weapons, unlike the national organization. All in all, Vermont is a great place to live if you want to own and bear arms.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That does sound really great. The only states I've lived in for any real amount of time and had firearms have been Ohio and Kentucky. Ohio was a PITA. Ky. is a little better depending where you are. The larger cities it's a gamble but out in the rural areas it almost seems expected that people have a weapon on them or close by. Even my gun rack has a gun rack!:eek:

I have a friend in Ohio that the only reason they got a permit was because they got harassed for having a concealed weapon (in a car) and was just going from ther range to home. The LEO told them that it's considered concealed in transport. I'm not all that sure about it all but not she carries all the time (with a permit). More stat6es should take the Vermont and now Az. stance. Paying for the privilege to exorcise a right just isn't right.

16. hnealg

hnealg New Member

That's why...

That's why I live here in Georgia! :D

17. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

I live here in Pa right now and the laws are pretty good. It is a "shall issue" state and there are few restrictions against where you can carry. Open carry is received by LEO's better in some places than others. Our only big problem is that some cities have been violating the state pre-emption laws by trying to pass their own gun ordinances.

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Love the story. Always good to hear these. The fine officers in my town all know me, know I served and know I carry everywhere I go. I still let them know however that I am carrying if I have it on and encounter them. The funny thing is I always get the same response, "yes we know Doc, no worries". I let them know so they don't get jumpy if they see it. I know they know I have it on but its still nice to inform them just in case they are a little jumpy that day.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  19. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Good stuff to read, I ran into a license check the other day and informed the officer I had a CCW and was in fact carrying. He had a shocked look on his face and thanked me for letting him know. He asked me to pull over and started to talk about which guns he liked to carry, asked if I minded telling him what I carried, we must have talked 15 or 20 minutes about our guns. Now he comes by my place of business just to talk on slow days. What a crazy way to meet a new friend.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I live in Colorado. I have several friends in law enforcement. They say that they want people to tell them if they are carrying, even though we are not required to. I have had encounters with a couple of officers I did not know. I told each of them that I had a permit and was carrying. Each officer was very polite and calm. No one has ever given me any greif about it. They just don't like to be surprized.