Lending/borrowing

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kaido, Feb 4, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

Just wondering what your guys thoughts are when it comes to either lending out your own or borrowing someone else's firearms are?

2. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I don't do it unless I'm right there with them. Like a dove shoot and my buddy doesnt have a shotgun or something. Or we are at the range and shooting a pile of each others guns.

3. GUNBOSS1031

GUNBOSS1031 New Member

Only if they give me there gun to hold on to? Or if im there with them

4. kaido

kaido New Member

That makes sense. But from that, I'm guessing you wouldn't let them take any of your firearms to the range alone with out you being there even if they bought a box(s) of ammunition for it?

Just to try an clarify that one since it could be taken either way, do you mean if they pass theirs off to you and let you hold/use it while at the range or just as a "you've gotta bring mine back they way it left to get yours back" type thing?

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Never, ever, ever!!! I let a buddy borrow my Marlin 60 some years ago. He dropped it in the sand w/ the action open. Did I say never!!! He is no longer my buddy.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

+10

Not only that, some people might sell it or do something stupid with it. If that happens, I'd guess that they would come looking for THE OWNER. I do not need that kind of hassle, and my guns are worth too much to guess what someone else did to them while not in my care. But if everybody brings a pile of guns, sure, we share.

7. kaido

kaido New Member

Well.....I don't think very many people would of been to happy about that one either. I know I probably would of made him clean it out to the point it was like new.
    But now, what if you where both at the range, would you let someone send a few slugs down range?

8. kaido

kaido New Member

If your worried about them selling your/doing something stupid with your firearms, that can't be that trustworthy of a friend?

9. jpattersonnh

I've let guys try a few rounds at the Range. I ended up selling my Cetme to a friend that had to have it. We set up 10 clays at 100 yards and I busted all 10 w/ 10 rounds in about 7 seconds. All he could say was "Wow". After he tried it he was hooked.

10. jpattersonnh

I have a buddy that was moving, so he left his rifles w/ his sister. Her boy friend sold them to a pawn shop. That was not pretty.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

At the range, or something like a hunting trip taken TOGETHER, no problem man!

Hey, let me borrow a gun for this hunting trip out west/ home protection/my wife has a disgruntled coworker or a stalker/someone threw a brick through my living room window?

Never gonna happen.

12. kaido

kaido New Member

I wouldn't of been able to say a whole lot after that either.
    Especially since I'm not really to good a shot as is. Haha
    But I've gotta ask, how did most the guys go about asking you to try your firearm(s) out? Reason I'm asking is I've seen a few guy at the range and wanted to try their rifles, just haven't been sure how to go about doing so.

I can't blame him for being pretty P/O'd at the move. But I guess it does show you can't really trust everyone you know.

13. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Same as you guys, I would only let a friend shoot them if I were there at a range with them. As far as just letting them borrow, no way.

Dan

14. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Agree 100%.

There are acquaintances and then there are friends. The problem is that we throw around the word friend too casually and many don't really understand what that word means. My friends are welcome to anything I have. Acquaintances are not. I would be willing to loan someone that is not a friend a gun but it would be a gun that I wasn't very attached to. How that gun was treated would go along ways towards determining if that person ever became a friend. Most won't become a friend, but its worth possibly loosing a material item such as a gun in order to maybe one day gain a friend. Its a chance you take. Friends are more valuable than things and extremely hard to come by. :)

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Kaido, just ask. "hey, I'm thinking about maybe getting something like that, you mind if I pop of a few?"

If they get mad, chances are they're just an a-hole to begin with, so don't sweat it.

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I borrowed a gun from my future brother-in-law first time I went hunting. And a true friend? HAVE, and would, let them borrow a long gun. One buddy for as long as he wanted unless and until he decided to ever get his own (or I asked for it back, which I did after the 2008 elections). My Mom got even more than that when there were "issues."

The only caveat is you shouldn't expect to get it back or care what condition it is in if you do. To lose a friend over dirtying my gun would be all MY fault, not his IMO.

17. jpattersonnh

Like trip said, ask questions. Most people will offer. I've let people try multiple firearms in a day. Usually it is a new shooter. I had a kid ask a few questions, he was 18 and w/ his Dad. Neither was a shooter, but the kid had taken a few classes and bought an SKS. He was shooting very slowly. When after about 1/2 and hour I heard him say to his Dad, well, last 10. I asked if he wanted to shoot a few rounds. His Dad was concerned about ammo, so I pointed behind to about 5 .50cal cans filled w/ ammo. That kid shot a 1907 M96, 24/47, Cetme, Wasr2, and my CZ527. He was so happy after every mag. It was awesome. He was pretty good and followed range rules to a tee. I was set up on the 160 meter line. Odd number I know.

18. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

There's only 1 person i would let borrow a firearm without me being around and thats my dad other than that HELL NO .

19. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

The thing is, it's not the guys you expect that do the stupid things with your guns. Those guys you wouldn't let have them anyway. It's the guys you wouldn't expect and for reasons you would have never thought of. It's just safer to be there when someone is using your guns. Better for them and you, so that when something happens, there's no explaining to do. You both know what happened and you can hold each other accountable to handle it properly. Too many very bad things can happen with guns for you to release total control of one you are responsible for.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not have loaned my dad a gun for any reason. He "loaned" 2 of my pistols to his "buddies" while I was in the service. I never saw them again and his "buddies" never came back.