Legally purchasing a handgun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NastyMasty69, Jan 5, 2013.

1. NastyMasty69

NastyMasty69 New Member

I am going to turn 18 here in a couple months and I was wondering what the laws were on purchasing or owning a handgun at 18 or if it is even possible I live in Kansas but I am either going to college in Missouri or Oklahoma I was just wondering if anybody put me in the right direction

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Personaly i wouldn't take anyones word on a forum (no offense to my fellow members) for legal advice----
    Check you states .org sites or local law enforcement agencies ;)

3. vincent

vincent New Member

4. NastyMasty69

NastyMasty69 New Member

Well I will ask local sheriffs office but I have looked on the states .org like you said but its just extremely unclear and did t really help

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah, most are like that-
    Might just call a local gun dealer --He can tell you the buying stuff but doubtfull about the other --

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Scroll down to the bottom of the link I posted...it's right there...

They do a great job of keeping the info updated, as sometimes the laws change very quickly...

7. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Here in Indiana the handgun must be "gifted to you". I am only 18 and have my carry permit

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you are under the age of 21, you cannot purchase a handgun or rifle lower.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

At 18 you cannot purchae a handgun from a licensed DEALER. Some states allow private transfers of handguns. The legal advice you get on the internet is worth every penny you paid.

10. NastyMasty69

NastyMasty69 New Member

I guess the thing I'm wondering is what exactly does "private transfer" mean

11. vincent

vincent New Member

In the states where it's legal, a private transfer is a transaction done without the involvement of an FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer.

12. NastyMasty69

NastyMasty69 New Member

So just like is my buddy sells me a pistol then I don't have to do anything else...registration?or putting it in my name

13. vincent

vincent New Member

All depends on your state, again, I'm not a lawyer. If it were me, selling to a friend, I'd still cover my azz and get his DL #/permit #, bill of sale etc...If you're the buyer, he'd be well advised to to the same...

Were it to be someone I don't know or just a casual acquaintance, I'd most def go through an FFL

As far as I know, there is no 'registration' outside of Nevada, some states require a handgun permit to be either retained by the seller or put on file with local LE when it is a private sale...every state is different.

It may be a giant PITA to find understandable, factual info on this stuff but it's well worth the time to do so...CYA my friend...

14. NastyMasty69

NastyMasty69 New Member

Alright so it sounds like basically to be safe I'm Just going to talk to a gun dealer or sheriffs department. Definitely don't want to jeopardize future purchases

15. NastyMasty69

NastyMasty69 New Member

Thanks for the help guys

16. vincent

vincent New Member

I'd get the info straight from the horses' mouth. As much respect as I have for LE, they're human and may not know the ins and outs of firearm laws better than anyone else...

When it comes to your freedom, do you really want to trust another person?

You also may want to contact a lawyer that specializes in firearms laws...it may cost you a couple bucks for a consultation but if you're having trouble understanding the laws (they are confusing) it'll be money well spent...:cool: