legally attached muzzle brake/fake suppressor?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Static_85, May 14, 2012.

1. Static_85

Static_85 New Member

Hey, I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to post this so if it's not I apologize.

I'm making a 9mm with a 10" barrel. From what I understand under the NFA if I attach a stalk to the gun it will be considered a short barreled rifle instead of a pistol.
    I know that if I attached a muzzle brake that was 6" long it would bring the barrel to a legal length.
    Would this also be true if instead of a muzzle brake I used a fake suppressor. And if so would it have to be permanently attached?

2. opaww

opaww New Member

You really need to ask the ATF, because if I tell you yes and they say no then you go directly to jail, and do not pass go and collect $200.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

My guess is uncle sam will be collecting $200 at some point :p

4. Static_85

Static_85 New Member

I kinda anticipated a response close to that. I wasn't necessarily going to really on just someone's word. But figured it would still be informative to ask. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem

5. opaww

opaww New Member

Check with the ATF they will give you the answer you need

6. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

If I were you, I would forget it.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I just went thru this. I suggest you make sure its a hair over 16" because if its any under its a large fine and jail time . Yes it would have to be permanently attached pinned and I suggest welded . Now the question I have for u is why go thru all this when it will still
    be 16" long ? Honestly its really pointless to do that , if u want a 10" barrel go thru all the BS pay the $200 wait the 6 months and get what u want

8. Static_85

Static_85 New Member

I was planning on it, can't be too safe.

As a pistol 10" was good, but as a rifle 16" doesn't bother me at all. Plus If I had 200$ to dump into a tax I'd pay it to a legit suppressor and weld that to it.

Anyway, I just shot them an email to see what they say.