Legality question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Jnhrdng, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jnhrdng

Jnhrdng New Member

I have a question on the legality of modifying a shotgun. Is it illegal to remove the stock yourself, leaving a pistol grip even if the barrel stays above 16 inches long?
    Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum.

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

I would check your state website pertaining to firearms laws and also check the federal site.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Check your State laws on shotguns with pistol grips, a few kommie States don't like them.

As for your question, 18" barrel and 26" overall length is the minimum. DO NOT cut your barrel to 16", it will be a short barrel shotgun and therefore illegal.

Jim.....................

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jim is absolutely RIGHT. The minimum for RIFLES is a 16" bbl, 26 " overall. A SHOTGUN must have 18" barrels, 26" overall, OR be registered with the BATFE as a Short Barreled Shotgun, or an Any Other Weapon. What difference does 2 inches make? 10 years in a Federal prison, a fine equal to all the money you will ever have, and a new roomate- known as "Animal".

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

^^^^I will add losing the right to ever own a firearm for life.

Most mfrs of short barrels make them to 18.5" to make sure they are legal length and eliminate the possiblility of an error when measuring.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Thats a new HUSBAND known as animal:eek:

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Or a new WIFE known as animal :eek:

8. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

But then you have to give your wife a BJ or get your head bashed into the floor.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

And just when I thought I had gotten HBO's OZ out of my nightmares. :mad: Thanks, Zac. LMFAO :D

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I wondered about how they do things here in MI.You don't have to register a full sized shotgun,but you have to register a cruiser shotgun as a pistol.