Legality Question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by zaitsev44, May 3, 2014.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yesterday I put up some ammo for sale on Armslist, and a little while later I got an email from a possible buyer. He asked if I could ship the ammo, and I said yes then I asked him where he was located. He said New York. I replied asking if it was ok to ship ammo to an individual in NY because of the SAFE Act, he replied saying he thought the SAFE Act was only for firearms. I googled it and it said that all internet/online ammo sales had to go through an FFL. Can someone shed some light on this for me please? All feedback is appreciated.

2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Google is your friend.

Seller beware.

3. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

The SAFE act is confusing to say the least and states like NY and some of those other North East and west coast states have other laws on the book preventing such sales of ammo, firearms, and firearm parts.

Remember, none of us on this site are lawyers (that I know of anyways) so if you are not 100% sure about what the laws are up there in NY, then I would say stay away from anything like that.

4. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I can't find much other than people complaining about it. I even went on the SAFE Act website, and couldn't find anything. I'm probably going to tell him I can't do it due to too many obstacles.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Good move. Don't.

From Ammoman website-

NEW YORK: No Ammunition Sales. Note: AMMOMEN LLC has completed our review of the New York SAFE Act legislation and WILL SHIP ammunition to the State of New York to FFL Dealers only.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally if a person is confused by such laws, better to err on the side of caution and to find another buyer.

just remember all those law abiding gun owners in New York have to deal with these stupid laws on a daily basis.

7. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I replied with this:
    "After reading laws and gaining advice from people who know the SAFE Act well, I think it's best you buy from someone in state or from a FFL dealer online. I am not comfortable with the SAFE Act laws. I thank you for your interest and I apologize. If you're still looking for ammo, AIM Surplus has new production Prvi Partizan .303 British that's reloadable and non-corrosive for $14.95 a box of 20 rounds in either FMJ or Soft point. They should ship to NY, they are an FFL."

Thank you all for your advice. I'm sure I avoided some trouble with y'all's help.

8. therukh

therukh New Member

Good for you! Your reply protects both your and your prospective buyer and is very diplomatic. Well done!

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I wouldn't even consider shipping much of anything to NY, Cali, Mass, NJ, etc. I recently declined to ship a 40mm inert artillery shell to Canada, for the exact same reasons.