Legality of building a shotgun.

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by beastmode986, May 24, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Im wondering if its legal to build one of those pipe shotguns? Would the pipe the shell fits into need to be 18 inches or more for it to be legal? What if it shot 38 special or a rimmed rifle round? Would it be illegal because the barrel is not rifled? Im talking about shotguns like this
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnaCjEXjKy0[/ame]

Thanks

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Why would you want a zip gun? Hopefully not to shoot often; a cheapo single-shot, break action shotgun could be had for $100 or less and would be MUCH more comfortable to shoot.

3. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

Well, I assume it would be considered an AOW, you can read about them and decide for your self, i'm not going to offer any legal advice :)

I will say that the video seemed a bit silly. If you can't protect your freedom with an ar15 or 870, it's going to be awful hard to do with a zip gun lol.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I mainly wanted to build one of the shotguns for the hell of it, looks like it would be fun! I have considered the black powder kits as well. Im going to be bored over the summer sometimes and it would be nice to be able to build something cool. If I did make the zip gun shotgun would it be legal though? Can I at least get links to the atf's website adressing this? Also in illinois it says shotguns need to be no less than 26'' in overall length and have at least an 18'' barrel so if I got a pipe 36'' long that should be more than enough right?
    I am also pissed off because in illinois EVEN MUZZLE LOADERS AND CERTAIN AIRFILES NEED TO BE SHIPPED TO A F****** FFL DEALER! When was the last time someone tried to kill someone with a muzzle loader or air rifle?! :(

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The situation he describes is in a case where all other legal firearms options are gone.

But by the law, it is not illegal to manufacture your own firearm for personal use as long as it complies with the legal dimensions. Same as the 80% lowers for ARs or receiver flats for AK kits. You can't build into an illegal configuration without breaking the law. You aren't supposed to mass produce them or transfer them, or make them fit resale without a manufacturers liscense.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

A shotgun must be at least 26 inches overall and the barrel must be at least 18 inches.

Smooth bore pistols are "any other weapons."
    A rifle must have a barrel of at least 16 inches or it is an "any other weapon."

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Law aside, if a LEO sees you with a zip gun, you will be in for some discussions at the least, but with a BP pistol, he would probably just want to try it.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I could not find the details on atf.gov. Call them if you need to.

Try an Internet search for "improvised firearm."

11. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

If you want to build a shotgun you can build a break barrel single shot almost as easily, and it's completely legal and much better and more fun.
    It's my current project, but I haven't done much work on it recently.

12. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

But wouldnt I need more tools?

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. Can you build your own shotgun legally? Yes. Federal law requires at least 26" overall, 18" bbl. Otherwise you are building a short barreled shotgun.

2. Good idea? No. There is pipe and there is pipe. Get headspace off and blow the cap off into your face. I used to build them for military demonstrations of expedient weapons. I used black gas pipe. Even so, fired them remotely. They were not always.....durable.

3. Can you build a .38 pistol? No- not without paperwork. That pipe will be smoothbore. A smoothbore pistol (barrel less than 18") is an AOW, and needs to be papered with the ATF.

Black powder rifle kit would be a great summer project. And a lot safer.

14. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

No not really.

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok thanks c3 and everyone else!