Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is there more to the legalization of Marijuana than you thought?
The federal government still does not recognize marijuana as a legal drug to consume, no matter what NY or any other state passes at their level. So how could this effect you?

When applying for a pistol permit or purchase of a gun you must disclose if you are a regular user of marijuana to the ATF. If you check yes, then that municipality or gun dealer has to deny your purchase based on federal guidelines according to Section 922 (g)(3) of title 18 of US Code. If you lie on this form you could face federal penalties up to 10 years in prison.
This also means your already licensed gun isn’t legal if you are a marijuana consumer. The ATF specifies that a marijuana consumer cannot legally own a gun. The federal government states that a user of a controlled substance may not own a gun or ammunition.
So is this simply a way in the backdoor to limit 2nd Amendment rights of New Yorkers? Could the ATF be knocking on your door to take away your firearms? I would put my money on yes.

This is not a debate on the legalization of marijuana, but a warning to show you how the state democrats can limit your Right to Bear Arms if you chose to partake in what is now legal in New York. Please pay attention to what is happening in Albany, what may appear as progressive government could actually be taking away your rights and freedoms.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
The Federal pot laws have some catching up to do. The most dangerous combination is not smoking dope and guns, but alcohol and guns. Perhaps people with more than a couple of DUIs should be banned from ownership.

It would be really interesting to know how many gun incidents in this country happen in combination with alcohol. Some of us get ten feet tall, mean and stupid when we drink. That is why I quit decades ago.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't smoke, but I drink..... I told my friends how many fights you see start from a guy smoking? How many fights you see start from a guy drinking? You are correct CHAINFIRE !!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Federal pot laws have some catching up to do. The most dangerous combination is not smoking dope and guns, but alcohol and guns. Perhaps people with more than a couple of DUIs should be banned from ownership.

It would be really interesting to know how many gun incidents in this country happen in combination with alcohol. Some of us get ten feet tall, mean and stupid when we drink. That is why I quit decades ago.
If they have two convictions for DWI in 10 years, then they are prohibited under federal law. At least in most states, as the second one is a felony. And what they are on does not matter, only if it inhibits the ability to drive, and they test positive for it,

First one .08 or more, DWI, second one, coke, crack, meth, weed, or alcohol shows up in the test, felony DUI charge.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
If they have two convictions for DWI in 10 years, then they are prohibited under federal law. At least in most states, as the second one is a felony. And what they are on does not matter, only if it inhibits the ability to drive, and they test positive or it,

First one .08 or more, DWI, second one, coke, crack, meth, weed, or alcohol shows up in the test, felony DUI charge.

Good point. I didn't consider the felony issue of the second DUI. In my state it takes three, as long as #1 or #2 did not involve a wreck with serious injury; in that case the first is a felony.

I would guess that a person would drive buzzed 20-50 times average without getting nailed for it, so getting caught a second or third time would probably mean that the were drunk more than they were sober. Of course, some folks here will claim that it is unconstitutional to ban a chronic alcoholic or drug addict from owning a gun.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good point. I didn't consider the felony issue of the second DUI. In my state it takes three, as long as #1 or #2 did not involve a wreck with serious injury; in that case the first is a felony.

I would guess that a person would drive buzzed 20-50 times average without getting nailed for it, so getting caught a second or third time would probably mean that the were drunk more than they were sober. Of course, some folks here will claim that it is unconstitutional to ban a chronic alcoholic or drug addict from owning a gun.
Depends on the state. There are a few that don't bar ownership, but will not issue a CHL, if you are a habitual drunkard.

Thanks for the info on Florida.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
This is an interesting topic in MI. Weed is state legal. CPL is a state license. Private sales don't go through FFL What is even more interesting, when the law was passed for medical MJ, it was specifically written into the law, that no other state license could be impacted by MML.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
This is an interesting topic in MI. Weed is state legal. CPL is a state license. Private sales don't go through FFL What is even more interesting, when the law was passed for medical MJ, it was specifically written into the law, that no other state license could be impacted by MML.
Well, the states can not dictate to the powers that the Feds reserve for themselves. If the Feds say a pot-smoker can't legally buy a gun, the state can't legislate their way around it. The state can sit back and not enforce the Fed. mandate, but if it hacks the Feds off enough, they carry a damn big economic stick, if nothing else.

The Federal Government established supremacy over the states by 1865. It was an unforeseen consequence of the Civil War. A state can do just about what they want to do, as long as Uncle Sam approves.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
CPL is a state function.
MML is a state function
Non FFL firearm purchases is partially a state function.

No feds involved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts