Legal to *privately* ship firearms?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by GaryGlock, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

My brother in law moved down here a few years ago for collage and recently graduated with his masters.
    When he moved down he left 2-3 shotguns that he owns with his parents and is always borrowing mine.

So for a graduation gift me and my sister were wondering if we can have his parents ship his down without having to do FFL since he already owns them?

2. drboompa

drboompa New Member

I know of a dealer who shipped a rifle through the US postal system and the postal employees were aware of it. Strange!

3. markie357

markie357 New Member

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the way i understand to be legal the owner of the firearm has to ship it to himself. anyone else shipping it to another person requires a ffl on the recieving end. so family member shipping "your" gun to you i think constitutes requiring a ffl. but im not 100% sure

5. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Thanks for help guys

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

On warranty shipment by acompany they recently sent it to me w/o FFL directly to my house.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The issue is transfer of ownership. If no transfer of ownership, does not need a FFL.

For RIFLES and SHOTGUNS- they can be mailed by US Mail by a private citizen. Be certain they are not loaded. HANDGUNS may not be mailed except by a Dealer or Manufacturer.

In the case of a firearm sent for service, it can be returned directly to the owner without going thru a dealer- no transfer of ownership. The Mfgr can also say "Sorry your gun broke- it is under warranty- here is a new gun of the same type." THAT does not need a FFL either.

18 US Code, section 922. Long, dry read, but it is tucked in there.

8. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

9. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

C3 I truly am in awe of your understanding of gun law, I think I am going to dedicate myself to learning the law and knowing it as well as you do.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

C3,

can the parents fedex the son's own handgun to him in a different state?

11. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Long guns only

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

They can send them but they have to send them through a dealer. So they could do 2 things. One send them from a dealer near them to a dealer in FL or contact a dealer in Fl and send it to directly to that dealer.