Legal to bring rifle into a Wilderness Area for bear defense?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by wmeyer116, Jul 24, 2013.

1. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

I'm going to Montana in the next month, Bob Marshall Wilderness. I have my Handgun carry permit, but I was wondering if it is legal to bring a rifle into a wilderness area, loaded, for self defense, not during hunting season.

I will be bringing my .44 magnum, but was just curious if I could bring my 45-70 as well :confused:

Thanks

2. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

your best bet for getting accurate update information is contact Montana fish and game directly. To find THAT information, Google is your friend.

3. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

Thanks, I'll probably call eventually. I'm expecting to get the whole "bear spray" talk.

4. lucznik

lucznik New Member

You can have a rifle in Wilderness Areas pretty much any time you want.

The only time you might get any grief is DURING hunting season, when the Game & Fish might consider possession of a hunting-caliber rifle as evidence of actually hunting.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I used to guide in the Great Bear Wilderness and a few sq. miles of the Bob Marshall area. I don't care what the law is I won't enter a spot like that without one of my .44 mags or .454 casull. I'd wear it in a shoulder holster hidden under something but I'm not gonna be totally helpless in a place like that.

6. LIBERTY2

LIBERTY2 New Member

Sure, a wilderness area is just another piece of land owned my we the people!! I've been hunting in the Marshall and I would never go there without a rifle or slug shotgun for protection. I sure wouldn't rely on a handgun for protection from a pissed off grizzly

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would bring a shotgun with slugs if it is legal.