Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
34,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told someone could not send me a complete Lower AR15 receiver to my local FFL because they are illegal in Illinois. I live in DeKalb County. Is this true?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I grew up in Chicago and I'll be going to school there thus fall. In Chicago you have to be a cop to own one in the city. My cousin lives in cook county, in lemont, and he ccan own one. It depends on you're city/township.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey Winds, this last summer I "built" my first AR. If someone was shipping you a lower you would just have to have it go through a FFL as the lower is the registered part. It's easier just to go to the LGS and either buy a stripped lower if you want to build it or a complete lower. Then you can purchase the upper or LPK (lower parts kit) online without a FFL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told someone could not send me a complete Lower AR15 receiver to my local FFL because they are illegal in Illinois. I live in DeKalb County. Is this true?
As I understand it, IL gave localities a window to override the state law saying ARs are legal. Several IL jurisdictions outlawed ARs before the window closed: I believe Highland Park, Deerfield, Chicago, & Cook County. Cook County has magazine capacity limits, too, I think. If you live in a zip code that covers even just a part of these jurisdictions, many companies flat out won’t sell to you. Some sellers flat out ban sales into a state if any part of a state outlaws that item. PSA is one example I believe. But the FFL should know. Pick an FFL not in a restricted jurisdiction. Then they are supposed to verify if based on your address they can release it to you. I think if the address where you will legally store the weapon can count. EG, if you have a lake house in a legal county, the FFL might release to you if you show the storage location jurisdiction allows it. First check the laws of the local jurisdiction before you order. Many sellers won’t refund if you can’t legally take ownership after they ship. If your local jurisdiction allows but one seller still won’t sell, try another. Not all follow the excessively strict restrictions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts