Legal definition of committed?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ksq72, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ksq72

ksq72 New Member

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I am a recovering alcoholic with over a year of sobriety. The KY CCW states that someone that has been committed to a treatment facility has to wait 3 years. My question is, mine was a voluntary check in to a treatment center, is that the same?

2. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like a question for a 2A friendly attorney.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You do need to consult a lawyer. Walking into a facility of your own free will is a signal that you are responsible. You recognize that things are out of control. You know you need help. Here in NC, it's involuntary commitment, you were sent there by a judge. But each state has it's own laws.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Disclaimer- am NOT an attorney- so my legal advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

C&P from the KY state regs;
    Not have been adjudicated as a mental defective or have committed to a mental institution;

As used, that expression denotes a person that has been found by a judging authority to be mentally incompetent (that is the adjudicated part) OR have been committed. The second part is in the usual passive voice- they did not seek care, they were forced to accept care (by another authority). A voluntary request for medical care is not normally held to be a commitment.

A good action might be to contact the KY State Police licensing section, and discuss with them. But will bet you a diet Dr. Pepper that is their definition. Good luck.

5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

I would also recomend that you speak to an attorney concerning this matter. It's way too easy as it is to run afoul of firearm laws.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Voluntary treatment is not the same as involuntary commitment.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Quoted for best wording/advice.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a voluntary admission into a treatment facility is no different than being admited into the hospital for gall bladder surgery. in this situation it's a private matter and is between them and their doctor.

9. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Unless they are VA (Veteran Administration) patients they MUST get permission to be seen outside of the VA and all records are subject to their perusal! and can be used against them in other cases.
    Husband of a VA patient.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'll drink to that :)

11. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Another question, were you free to leave the facility of your own free will? There are different types of facilities, was it a medical treatment facility or a mental treatment facility? I have a family member who lost their husband, shortly after they said they couldn't cope and needed help. She went to a facility and she was legally committed for 30 days. I would tend to think that would be a matter of ones permanent public record whereas your neighborhood church based recovery program probably is not.