Lefty or righty?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NvRbanArms, Jan 16, 2012.

1. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Is there anyone out there that is left handed but shoot pistols right handed. If so, how do you do it. Ex: hold righty, aim left eye. Vice versa. I have a problem with that. Really can't figure out if I should be shooting right or left and which eye to use. I'm lefty, so far I been using right hand and both eyes open. Or left eye closed. Am I doing it right?

2. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Figure out witch eye is dominate and aim with that eye. For handguns you shouldn't have a problem using either hand with your dominate eye.

To find out witch eye is dominate cut a hole in a piece of paper about the size of a half dollar. Hold the paper all the way out in your hands and look through to hole at an object in the room. Slowly bring the paper towards your face while constantly focusing on the object. The eye that the hole comes back to is dominate.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

3. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

I'm right handed but I have to shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominate. Took some getting used.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

You are confusing the issue.

With a pistol, use the hand you can work the weapon with best; you are instinctively going to use the eye that is dominant if you keep them both open.

With a rifle it can get tricky. I used to use my bad eye so I could hold the rifle right handed. When I started shooting, no one told me the importance of using my dominant eye.
    After I started shooting farther with small targets I needed to use my good eye as to see the target clearly, using iron sights. Using a scope wasn't a problem.

Now I shoot rifles left handed, and pistols right handed. I can shoot with either hand using rifles though.

A shotgun I still shoot right handed since I keep both eyes open anyway.

5. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I am right handed but left eye dominate. I just practiced shooting left handed which everyone needs to do learn to shoot from your weak hand.

6. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I'am a lefty and handguns I shoot left handed and rifles i shoot right handed becouse i just shoot what feels natural

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I am right handed,i shoot pistols and my M4 right handed but i shoot shotguns and bolt action scoped rifles left handed

8. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Right handed shooting for everything.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Im left handed but i shoot right handed, pistols, shotguns, rifles. I can shoot left handed if needed but my strong side is right, which is kinda odd i guess because i cant even draw a circle let alone write right handed.

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Just posted this on another thread, My daughter is a lefty and shoots better right handed, due to being right eye dominate. I am working with her to change her grip to rotate the gun to the 1-2:00 to bring the sights to her dominate eye and shoot left handed. She would rather grip the gun lefty but has not gotten comfortable with rotating the gun yet. She has always tried to do everything right handed and shoots better for now right handed but says it is uncomfortable. When she gets the rotation down to shoot lefty look out as she will be able to shoot well with both hands.

The rotating the gun works well for me as I am right handed and left eye dominate so I rotate to 11:00. This tightened my groups up after a week of practice.

11. peters923

peters923 New Member

Im a lefty and left eye dominat. I shoot both handguns and long guns left and right handed. they both feel equally comfortable.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are left handed and left eye dominant, get an ambidextrous or a left handed pistol. I have seen left handed 1911's and Charter Arms makes left handed revolvers.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I am a lefty that shoots better right handed than I do left handed. Of course I have heard a lot of instructors say you don't have as many bad habits with your non dominate hand and it's more relaxed. My only problem with being a lefty and shooting right handed is drawing. I can't draw it right handed for crap so I always carry strong side.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I am right handed but shoot rifles left handed. I shoot rifles left handed because I am left eye dominant. I cannot close my left eye by itself so I cannot line up a right handed sight picture properly. I can close both eyes together or just my right eye but not the left. This actually works very well for me because I use my stronger arm to hold the rifle steady. I shoot handguns by holding them in my right hand and using my arms to line up the sight picture. I use my left arm to help steady the gun. This also works very well for me.

15. kcolg

kcolg New Member

When the gun is holded on the opposite side of you dominant eye you should close your dominant eye I believe

16. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

I am a southpaw and left eye dominant. I grew up shooting pistols right handed. However in the last year I changed and learned how to shoot, eject the mag, activate my slide stop all with my left hand; shooting with both eyes opened. It took some work but my groupings are now frequently 3 inches or less at 7 yards. The cool thing is that my "weak" hand is the hand I used most. I believe in sticking with what works best but improvising, adapting, and overcoming any obstacle. (the only thing I can't do with my right hand is brushing my teeth)

17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Go with what works.