Left handed

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bushmaster74, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

Just inherited a savage model 112 heavy stainless barreled .300 wig mag but its left handed. Would like to keep it bein it was passed to me. I seen where some marine snipers prefer using a left handed gun and still shoot right handed. Any feedback would be helpful

2. nosaj

nosaj New Member

You will get used to it. I shoot lefty and have never even handled a lefthanded gun...haha. ..... Or just pass it onto a lucky lefty friend :)

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I am left handed and have never owned a left handed gun, when I use bolt actions I use right handed ones that I have available and I am using them in a situation where I can take a careful rest and make a good shot and generally won't need to jack a shell in and make a second shot in a hurry. I find this is especially true with the heavy barrel guns, you are usually shooting off a bench or something trying to make more precision shots, as opposed to carrying it through the woods shooting at fast moving game where additional shots may be required.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Left hand people like myself have used right handed guns forever. I really don't see a problem.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

As long as the stock is ambidextrous,it doesn't matter which way the rifle is shot.
    I'm right handed but shoot left handed,I shoot both LH and RH rifles. I prefer to shoot LH rifles,but own many RH rifles that don't happen to come in LH so I just buy them anyway.
    Your Savage should be a very accurate rifle.If it's in a factory tupperware stock,it'll beat you to death,but in a good quality stock they are very nice to shoot.

6. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Txhillbilly where would be a good place to find a good stock for it because like you said. It does have the Tupperware stock on it

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

bushmaster74,I sent you a PM with some stock info.

8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I am left eye dominate so I shoot my long guns LH. I have noticed when I was 'sniping' I was firing from a prone/supported position most of the time. When In that environment I could stay on target and fire more accurately and faster because I never had to take my hand off the trigger (this is using a RH bolt), but while hunting and not having the option of always being in a supported firing position the LH bolt is much superior.