Left handed shooters

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by MisterMcCool, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Left handed people make up about ten percent of the population. But I see a lot more than 10% shooting with their left hand. Are left handed people just drawn to the sport or are there a whole lot of left eye dominant people forced to shoot left handed?

2. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My wife and I are lefthanded. We have two berretas cause they have safeties on both sides and the 92fs we could move the mag release to the other side.

3. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Leftist shooter....lefty shootist....
    I fire from the left too

4. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'm left eye dominant, not forced to shoot left handed but I shoot better with my left hand as opposed to my right.

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I too am left eye dominant, but right handed, so I shoot my long guns on the left shoulder but I shoot my hand guns right handed but sight with my left eye.;)

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Left eye dominant/Right handed. I mainly shoot rifles LH,but pistols it doesn't matter.I shoot just as good with either hand.

7. john300k

john300k New Member

My wife and I are both left handed, being left handed all our life is adapting to a right handed world!

8. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I'm a left handed shooter I do most everything else right handed except shoot and write. I always try and buy guns with ambi safeties

9. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i'm left handed but shoot righty. every eye dominance test i've taken has been inconclusive either way, so i continue to shoot the way i was taught, right eye, right handed.

i have a friend who is left eye dominent & he actually prefers right handed guns. his reasoning was when working bolt guns, you keep your finger on the trigger 100% of the time while your right hand works the bolt

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I would agree with him except for the 'bolt' gun. I used RH bolt guns for MANY years and when I shot a LH bolt gun once it was so much better (natural) I could not go back. The reaching over is not natural. The exception to that is varmint shooting which is with a bi pod or rest, then the RH bolt is fine.:)
    BUT those who shoot RH side eject long guns left handed (pumps and semi-autos, and levers) have a BIG advantage over their RH counter parts!!!:D When we have a malfunction we can SEE it before the RH shooter even knows it has happened. I have shot several quals with a pump shot gun which had a bad ejection problem without any problem because I could see the ejection port and was able to reach up with my RH and remove the empty protruding from the ejection port without missing a shot and with in the time allotted. I have had similar experiences with the AR platform.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Lefty, righty......................

I'm right handed, right eye dominant, when I had surgery on my right hand I found out what it's like to use the left hand in a bad situation.......:eek::D

12. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

I'm left handed and left eye dominant. I like single shot rifles because they are, for the most part, ambidextrous. Some people feel the need for a possible " fast follow up" shot. I've learned to live without " fast follow up" shots.
    I buy right handed bolt actions because they are easier to find in a given caliber than a lefty rifle. Left handed rifles sometimes cost more and usually only come in a 06 or .270. Lefty rifles can also be difficult to sell when you decide you want something else.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

This applies to both my wife and myself. She is, and always has been left eye dominant. Bow and long gun we both shoot LH, handgun, both of us sight left, shoot right.

I was born right handed, and right eye dominant. Due to the loss of the vision in my right eye, I switched eye dominance. Now for something to think about for all of you right or left hand and eye people.

When you shoot a bow or long gun, you are controlling your trigger, and the placement into the shoulder with your strong hand. That means you are stabilizing the gun, and taking most of it's weight, with your weak side. If you can shoot the opposite way, your off hand shots will become more accurate over time. Off hand practice also can give you an advantage when hunting, and during a (Lord, I pray this NEVER happens to anyone on here!) fire fight. The target will not always present it's self in a spot that you can fire on it from cover with your strong side. As I said, just some food for thought.

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm lefty and have been shooting left hand since forever. I only own one firearm with an ambidextrous safety, my 84fs. Now when I carry I carry a Nano, no external safety. I do see a lot of left handed shooters at the range. My sister shoots left handed as well.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am a lefty. I just bought my first left handed rifle a week ago after using right handed stuff for the last 30 years or so.

16. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Left eye dominant and shoot lefty. Just gotten used to non-ambi guns. However, I’m ambidextrous otherwise. Baseball, throw righty, but switch hit-righty being significantly better. Golf righty. Kick righty. Bowl lefty. Basketball shoot lefty. Write lefty.
    But I have to say, I’ve never shot right handed and tried to sight with the right eye only, in the event of an injury to my left eye. Next trip to the range will have to give that a try.

17. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Same here, I throw, write, I'm even a better draw from the right side than from my left even though I shoot my best left handed (I can shoot my pistol pretty well right handed). I shoot pool left handed, play the guitar left handed, shoot my rifle left handed, shouldering a rifle for right handed usage just does not feel right to me.

18. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

My son is right handed, but left eye dominant. I am left all the way, but cannot trade gun experience for selection and manage through shooting guns not aligned with my orientation. Have one left handed bolt, but it is awkward as an anomaly in my collection.

19. Ken_inWA

Ken_inWA New Member

I am left handed and left eye dominant. But in taking up shooting I found shooting right-handed felt the most natural. I atribute that to years using a computer mouse right-handed.

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I am able to shoot (rifle, pistol and shotgun), bat, fence (well when I was in college) and use martial weapons with both my hands. Takes practice, but you never know what will happen to your shooting hand or arm. I recommend practicing with both hands and eyes (scope).