left handed shooter, right handed gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Harland, May 22, 2010.

1. Harland

Harland New Member

As I said in my intro this will be my first gun. One problem as the title indicates is I am a left handed shooter. The only guns within the price range is the Mossberg 500 12 gauge and 410. More than likely I will be getting a 12 gauge. So from your experience with Mossbergs will this be a major problem (don't wonna get slapped in face every time I shot it)? I've been doing some research and got mixed reviews on this.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm left handed and have all kinds of weapons around here. To be honest thought I shoot both left and right. As I"m sure you know left handed people are subjected to a ton of things made for right handed people. THis is just one more thing to adapt to. It's really no big deal though. There are actually weapons made for left handed people but personally I find them hard to find and a pain to get used to. I've shot all this time and it feels really odd to me to have say..A left handed rifle. It just takes a little getting used to fire controls and all but like I said. Leftys have been doing that all out lives.

I have a Mossberg 835 that I use(d) for turkeys and it's a great shooter. I've had a few other models but I tent to like the Remington 870s a little more. I think it's more a feel thing though. I have not seen a bad shooting Mossberg yet. And I have nev er had a spent round hit my in the face. I have had a few different ones land on top my head but the way they popped up in the air they would have no matter what hand I was shooting with. THat's actually happened more with my right hand shootring than left.

Last edited: May 23, 2010

3. mcramer

mcramer New Member

hooray, I'm not the only left hander here lol.

from what I've seen, some left handed guns are a little more expensive. The only left handed gun I might get would be a bolt action. I also shoot left and right handed, keeps my game sharp on both sides. I've never been hit with any of my spent shells, while shooting left handed, so imo I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I don't have a Mossberg 500, I have a Maverick 88(literally the same gun, different furniture) never been even close the getting hit with a shell.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The only gun I have ever gotten brass in the face from is my 10/22. An m16 wasn't even a problem. I didn't always have a brass deflector in the army. But it wasn't a problem.

5. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Living in a Righthanded World

I'm a righty, but I've shot with friends that are lefthanded using righthanded shotguns, I don't see it bother them. I remember some guy complaining at a clay shooting competition that his RH shotgun caused his poor score, but really I believe he was making excuses for his poor performance. They do make lefthanded shotguns, but they're considerably more money. Also, most likely the lefty SG's will have to be special ordered. Do you have a friend with a shotgun that you can try-out first?

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

When I'm shooting bad I like to blame it on right handed ammo :eek::rolleyes:

7. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

hahahaa
    I like to blame it on that I'm not lefthanded. :(
    As long as we have something to blame it on instead of ourselves. :p

8. mcramer

mcramer New Member

if i start to shoot bad, i just switch hands. i find if i do that and still shoot bad, then the hand im shooting with is at fault.

9. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

The ideal shotgun for left handed shooters is an Ithaca 37....it loads and ejects out the bottom of the action.

They are available reasonably priced Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com for a field gun or if you want a defense shotgun...go with one of the chinese made copies of the Ithaca available for $ 200-225 range sold under the IAC brand.

Remington makes left handed 870's but they are pretty pricey !

Good Luck....left handed people are always in their right mind !

10. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

The Ithaca 37 will be a great choice for lefties.
    Ithaca has recently come back into production
    so you will be able to get a brand new one if desired.
    Also Browning BPS shotguns load & eject from the bottom
    so that's an option as well.

11. Harland

Harland New Member

Called up a local dealer the other night, just waiting for call back and Ill see what he offers along with prices. Right now a the price range is $100-$200 and is why the Mossberg 500 might win this one.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Have you looked at any break action shotguns? That would solve your left-handed problem. You'd have to probably save some more money for one, but you'll never have a problem with shells flying in your face.

I much prefer break action shotguns myself. It's easy to tell what's in the chamber, and they are the safest action of all. Break the gun open and carry over the arm. You're pretty well guaranteed nothing will fire.

13. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

I'm a lefty and have shot lots of clays with my 870 and never been hit with shells from it. Im sure the mossy is the same. all of my guns are right handed, we live in a right handed world. just wear saftey glasses and you will be ok.

14. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Im a righty, but left eye dominant. Long guns I shoot left handed, pistols right handed.

I have a Mossberg 590, and have never had any problems with shells in the face. I ran into a shop owner who tried to convince me I needed to spend more money to get a left handed gun. I didn't listen, spent the money on a killer red-dot site, and am better off.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm sure that shop owner did want to sell you a LH model. They usually run a bit higher. I bought a LH Raptor stock for a 10-22 once and the price difference was about 30 bucks. Truth be told it's really not worth it. But I thought it be kind of cool to have one that was set up that way. Still the same bolt though. I mostly look for a stock thast really doesn't cater to one side or the other. It makes it easier on me to switch back and forth from left to right hand shooting.

16. Harland

Harland New Member

Hey guys just a little update on this. Decided i am go with the 410gauge (Mossberg either way). Then after a get used to it i will save up for a nice gun cabinet (wooden one without the door will go bye bye, new will have to fit in closet for concealment) and get a 12 gauge (brand unknown) so then I can start missing around with different types (breaks actions, pump, ect...).

Thanks for all the info guys

17. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Mossberg is a great choice.
    What made you go with 410 gauge?

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm kind of curious about that too...

19. Harland

Harland New Member

really just from what my grandpa told me from his own experience with guns (he used to hunt). basically what he told me was that a 12 gauges recoil is not what he would consider "starter" friendly so he wants me to start out with a 410 like he did and move up as i gain experience.

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

How old are you? Unless you're younger than 13, the recoil of a 12ga is very manageable.