Left handed guns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jcast, Dec 28, 2011.

1. jcast

jcast New Member

Just starting a thread for leftys. Looking to purchase my first gun soon and thinking of the Fn FNX 9, S&W M&P9 or Walther PPQ. Any lefty have time on these and want to give some input or just say what ya got and why you like it. What's a good compact? Thanks in advanced. Kind of new to guns but trying to Learn fast. Hate NY waiting period.

2. Ghostman2nv

Ghostman2nv New Member

I have a PPQ i just bought and i love it, its perfect, the mag and slide release are perfect for either left or right
    Very hard to beat that set up for a lefty,the berretta nano is ambidextrious as well,the kimber carry solo is except the slide release is not but all other functions are.
    I highly rec the PPQ, never shot a finer weapon and ive shot alot,, got feel one and touch one , trigger is amazing

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I'm not left handed, but an XDM 3.8 compact should work fine. And it's a great pistol.

4. jcast

jcast New Member

Thanks ghost. Will check those out. Been mainly looking for my full size and been ignoring looking into a compact. I have big hands so finding a nice fitting compact will be fun. Think my friend has a Kimber solo, I just haven't been able to try it out.

I heard some different reviews about xdms and left me not doing much research. In NY you can't touch a gun until you get your permit so it's hard to get a good idea. Not like I can stop by a store and check them out. Plus there is no range around that will really let me tea shoot to see. Really confused about what to start with. All I can do is tell you I'm excited and waiting sucks.

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

When you find the time...you'll have to fill me in. I've found very little negative press on XDM's.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

The Bersa 9mm, .40&W & .45ACP are lefty friendly with ambi safety & slide stop & the mag release can be switched over. Something that I read from another lefty, though, was he learned to shoot left handed with standard right handed controls. That way, he's not limited by brand, etc. Just something to think about.

7. jcast

jcast New Member

Not necessarily bad reviews just that for the dollar might want to look for something else. I look on YouTube alot so who knows what they say. The only one I really go by is nutnfancy. And as for learning to shoot right handed guns I do it all time time. All my friends are so I know how to. Just want the comfort of lefty config and be able to switch mags faster. I mean everyone has their opinion. Just want ambidextrous so I and rightys can shoot it.

I will check out bersa as a secondary gun. But I'm pretty much locked on my top 3 of choice. Just depends which one of them feels better.

Anybody have a review of the hk USP? Shot a hk p2000 and loved it but it was .40 and just not what I want to start with.

8. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Well, IMO you're missing out. This is the guy to listen to. Big time Glock guy..but knows his s***... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gomyryr5uno]XDm 9 Compact 3.8 - YouTube[/ame]

9. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Im a lefty and shoot left handed. I have no problems shooting a "right handed" pistol. I find it is easier the hit the mag release with my trigger finger than it is with my thumb on ambi guns. The safety being taking off is just part of my normal draw when I reach for the pistol my thumb is on the left side of the gun and flicks it off as I pull then goes back to its normal position. The slide release is the only think I can't work on right handed pistols. This does not bother me at all as I never use it anyways. Its one movment insert mag, pull slide back. I see no reason to limit your pistol selection to "left handed" pistols.

10. jcast

jcast New Member

I'm not. Just would be easier. I shoot my friends right handed guns so I have the knowledge on how they function. When I get my permit I most likely will get the fnx9 seeing as they don't have a compact and I really like the way it "seems" to be. But I'll probably get a compact also for concealed carry. Any suggestions? Sr9c? M&P9c? Hichcock45 has a review on it and said good things. He is good to watch. Thanks for that link.

11. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

Beretta px4 storms are left handed freindly .I'am a lefty and own a compact 9mm px4 no complaints but I usually carry a Sig 229 or 239

12. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Seen a few XD's with guiderod screwups.
    Read a while back there's an aftermarket upgrade to fix that- Don's Guidrod?

If wanting a true lefty, might try to find a Randall 1911. Think some other custom guys still make lefty versions too.

13. DougB

DougB New Member

Get a PX4 in your hands before you decide. Fine firearms.

14. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I'm a hard core lefty and I shoot a right handed ruger .357 speed six with no problems. I wish I had a left handed grip for it but it works good as is

15. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Nice point, my daughter is a lefty, she shoots better right handed being right eye dominate, but she would like to carry left handed as she feels more natural this way. We are working on her shooting stance and grip to get past the wrong hand shooting. If she rotates the gun to the 1-2:00 left handed this brings the sights to her right eye. So I am very interested in a lefty friendly gun and she wants a laser grip for lefty's too.

16. Snowman

Snowman New Member

If you can, get out of NY, and get to a range. Try before you buy.

I'd recomend the m&p. Completly ambi.

17. Supersized

Supersized New Member

My wife's Walther PK380 is fully ambidextrous and a very nice shooter. Being a single stack , it's also very narrow and makes for a great carry weapon. The only real downside is that it has a very low capacity (7+1 iirc), and it's a .380 ACP, which isn't my favorite round. There are some decent defensive rounds being produced in .380 these days and it is close to 9mm in price now, so I can't complain too much.

18. Ruby476

Ruby476 New Member

I'm a lefty who is right-eye dominant. Slowing training my left eye by wearing a flip-down opaque cover over right eye. Clips to glasses. I have no problems with a Walther PPS 9mm. Great for CCW too - comes with three different magazines - 5/6/7 capacities. Also shoot a Glock 19 9mm and a Ruger Mark III. Have no problems with any of them.

19. group17

group17 New Member

Most newer Walther guns are ambi. I'm a lefty and have 2.
    Of course I have no problem handling righty controlled guns either.
    Lefty's are adaptable from birth living in a righty world.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  20. jcast

jcast New Member

Except those damn right handed scissors!!