Lee Turret Press Spent Primer Collection

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by beaglesam, Aug 19, 2012.

1. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I have a Lee four hole turret press. The only thing that I have issue with is the capturing of spent primers. It appears that they are designed to fall into one of two holes in the base of the reloader trapping between the base and the bench. Or bouncing off the base and onto the floor, which doesn't bother me. But to clean out the full base you have remove the reloader from the bench and half of those fall on the floor. Has anyone found a solution for this.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont useone of those presses but i do use a shopvac to clean out the catchbin on my rcbs single stage. Might try that with a pointy attachment to get in there tight.

3. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I use the same press. I don't really understand how the primers become trapped between the press and the bench. The spent primers fall through the opening in the shell holder and then drop through a tube that has a cap at the end to prevent the primers from falling to the floor.

4. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

OK, what tube? Mine did not come with a tube or any way to fall through. When attached to the bench the bottom is completely cover so nothing will fall through.

5. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

That is my one and only complaint with any Lee product. I just keep a full size rash can under my press to catch the spent primers.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Your using a Deluxe Turret press,correct?
    That is how that particular press is designed.If you want an easy fix,depending on what you reloading bench surface is made out of,you can drill a hole in you work top,and then insert a piece of pipe/tubing up thru the hole,and into the underside opening of the hole in the press that the primers fall into.Then just have a can/bucket/etc. to catch the spent primers.
    The Classic Turret lets them fall thru the center of the ram into a plastic tube attached to the bottom of the ram.

7. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

At the bottom of the ram is a flange. Your press should have come with a clear plastic tube that you squeeze over the flange. When you decap the old primer falls through the hollow ram and falls through the tube.
    As I write this I see a new reply about the deluxe press. I did not realize the the two presses were that different (mine is the classic turret press).

8. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

The deluxe turret dose not have a flange. I looked at mine ( still waiting on my bench to get here). I thought about a hole and PVC tube also.

9. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Sorry for the mis-information. I was just trying to help.

10. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

Drill a hole in the bench before mounting the press and find an appropriate cork to stop the hole until ready to empty. Mine is mounted on a 1x6 with a hole and cork and clamped to the bench. Only my Dillon 550 is mounted permantly, the other 6 are clamped.

To catch more primers, I found clear, semi-stiff food packaging, then cut it to fit the spaces between posts and each side of the primer arm. Tape these to the base leaving about 3/4" above the base. Seldom misses a primer now. The open threaded post hole will still drop primers on the floor- just stick a fired 9mm case in it.

11. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Basically I channel my spent primers into a a jar,whose lid I secured under my bench,(I twist the jar on an off as it fills up.) Once the jar is full I seal jar with a similar lid,and place the jar into the brass recycle bucket.

I try to use a fluid funnel,and a piece of PVC flex tubing to gavity drop the spent primer through my bench into the catch jar.

There are several similar videos on UTube

ST~

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I wouldn't use PVC as this plastic builds up a static electric charge easily and can cause a strong enough charge to cause an ignition source. I had a filter system on my solvent tank years ago that was made of PVC, it was in place for a few days and running solvent through the PVC caused a spark that would easily jump 1/8 inch gap- looked like a spark plug going off:eek:. I noticed it because I could hear the sharp "CRACK" of the spark (the filter was out of sight behind the tank so you couldn't see the spark). This spark would go off every minute or so.

13. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I used a clear rubber type 3/4 in hose. So far it works for the ones that go in the press. Some just bounce out.