Lee slugs

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Niteflyer, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Niteflyer

Niteflyer New Member

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the Lee 7/8 ounce 12 Ga. slugs using Lee data? I've used the Lyman 20 Ga. molds and have had very little luck with accuracy.So, when I decided to cast for 12 Ga. I decided to go with the Lee mold....Haven't done any shooting yet..I've cast these slugs in pure lead(like Lee says to do) and it was a nightmare!! So, I was wondering if anyone has cast and shot them out of a cylinder bore barrel.. in wheel weights.
    Thanks for any help..Eric

2. targetback

targetback New Member

slugs

I cast and shot the one ounce I burn a candle (bees wax) and smoke the mold make sure the mold is hot before the lead is added . after the slugs cool check the for cracks ect. Lee should have sent loads along with the mold . I have shot them in both smooth bore and rifled with very good luck out to 75yds. target

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have heard of good results with the "Key Drive" slugs and rifled barrels, but most complain that accuracy is poor from most smootbores.

I use the Lyman 7/8 oz Foster slug mold with fantastic results using 20-1 lead to tin alloy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  4. DMC

DMC New Member

I've cast & shot the 1 ounce slugs, never the 7/8 ounce ones. I use WW for the casting.

targetback wrote:
    "I burn a candle (bees wax) and smoke the mold make sure the mold is hot before the lead is added "

Very good advice.

A 20 Gauge Nitro card, or cut your own out of a matchbook, gasket material, etc., in the wad under the slug will prevent the occasional wad sticking into the slug and giving you a flier.

DC

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. targetback

targetback New Member

Yes. I also do this works for me . I also weigh my slugs . target.