Lee pro auto disk powder measurer

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by west33, Mar 20, 2014.

1. west33

west33 New Member

I just started reloading .44 mag using lee classic turret press with the auto disk powder measure. I'm using the 1.36 disc which is supposed to give me 18.3 grams of powder. I loaded 6 bullets and checked the powder that was dispensed in each one with my scale , and they were all different ranging from 18.3 to 17.5. When I reload 9mm I check it periodically and it's always at 4.3 grams every time. Just wondering why it's different every time with the .44mag shells. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

are you using a different powder for the 44 loads vs. the powder you use for the 9mm? if so, it could be the difference in the powder causing the erratic readings. different powders can have different flow rates due to the shape or texture of the powder.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I just did a batch of .44mag using my new micrometer bar on the auto disc. I use AA#9 and did get some variance. I was aiming for 18.2 grains but bumped it up to 18.5 to account for the variance. I recommend getting rid of the discs and replacing with the micrometer bars. I have them on all 4 of my Auto Disc Measures. Makes it a ton easier to dial in loads and change in small increments.

AA#5 is my go to powder for 9mm, .38 and .45. In the lesser amounts it meters very well.

4. west33

west33 New Member

I used hp-38 for 9mm and am using Alliant 2400 for the .44 mag.

5. west33

west33 New Member

I never heard of the micrometer bar. I'll have to look into that. Sounds like a good idea!

6. west33

west33 New Member

Is the micrometer bar the same as the adjustable charge bar?

7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have the same setup. Some powders meter differently from others The larger the charge, the more discrepancies you might see. I've never thrown a charge as big as the one you described. I sure you're meant to say "grains" not "grams". I do know that you should keep the powder level of the the powder dispenser fairly high to ensure consistent powder charges. The less powder in the dispenser, the less pressure pushing down on the charge giving different results. I've noticed that on the small charges I use. good luck

8. west33

west33 New Member

Your right , I did mean grains. Thanks for the advise!

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Go slower and give the powder time to fill the dispense chamber.

Most handgun powders meter very well. Its generally stick powders that are troublesome. With handgun powders its usually technique of going too fast that makes them meter poorly

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

11. west33

west33 New Member