Lee Factory Crimp Die

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Model70, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Model70

Model70 New Member

I've been reloading for years, most 25-06 and 30-30. I got said die the other day on a good friends recommendation. I know I don't need it for a 30-06, but, eh?

So I adjusted it like the directions said, but the rounds won't chamber very well. Does anyone know how best to set this die or where I'm screwing up?

I should say on the 165 Hornady BTSP that have a channelure everything works just fine. It's the Nosler Partitions I loaded that I'm having trouble with.

2. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I don't see how the crimp itself could cause any chambering trouble. Are the bullets seated out to far? Did you full-length resize? Those two are the only thing that could cause chambering trouble ( at least that I can think of right now).

3. Model70

Model70 New Member

Ya bullets are seated at about 3.30. The ones I hadn't crimped yet chambered just fine, leads me to the crimp die. The partitions don't have a channelure, could that be a factor?

Edit: yes I do full length resize.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I really stretch some of my bullets out in a couple guns and use the Lee factory crimp dies on those loads.The bullets don't have a cannelure either.
    I just set the crimp die up to barely crimp the cases,just enough to hold the bullets snug,but not enough to deform the bullet jacket or the case.You might need to adjust the die out a little,and take some of the crimp out of it.I have never had a problem with cases not chambering in any gun after using the crimp die.

5. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

I just barley touch the case mouth with the Lee crimp die. You only need a light crimp unless it's a big kicking mag.

6. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Crimp if you ever load for an AR! The ramp will knock the bullet right back into the case..learned the hard way when I first started the adventure!