Lee Enfield scope mounts

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by frankmo13, Oct 19, 2010.

1. frankmo13

frankmo13 New Member

I have a 1942 SMLE III Lee and was wondering where to get mounts for it.

2. frankmo13

frankmo13 New Member

here are some photos because I'm not even sure what it is, I inherited this so I don't know much about it.

Attached Files:

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The b-Square mounts are what I found after a short web search, apparently, they slip over receiver and attach to the ejector screw & rear sight cross-pin. Sounds like a friction mount and that will move!!

I'd take the rifle to a gun smith and have it done professionally.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Yoda says:
    "dunerunner....... Wise he is.'

This is an example of how NOT to do it.

[​IMG]

6. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Here is an S&K Item #1365 mount & rings I put on this 1941 Lithgow over 10 yrs ago. Rock Solid thru 500 rds of surplus ball. They are kinda pricey but work real well.

[​IMG]

Good advice about taking it to a gunsmith. Unless you have a Dremel and know how to fit them, (if your rifle needs it) they can be toast real quick!

Good look'in old rifle ya got there! Ken

7. frankmo13

frankmo13 New Member

I think it's absolutly beautiful with the plumber ties. haha

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I think that is a #4 Mark II and brownells has a mount for $75.00 that ataches to your reciever using the ejector and safety screws.
    Part # 100-000-319AC
    F.K.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is a No1Mk2*.

I have an S&K mount on a sporterized No4Mk1 and it has been rock solid. Not sure if S&K still offers the mount featured in the post above, though.

10. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I thought during the 1st World war the 303 British was a #3 and the next evelution was The #4 and its variantsI, II,II* and III. I assumed that being made in 1942 that this would be a #4.
    For my own Knowlage M14 could you educate me one the #1 I'm not knowlageable on this thanks?
    F.K.
    P.S. Is the #1 a civilan version?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The WW1 version (With the stock ending in a blunt muzzle end) was most commonly the No1Mk3. The round bridge over the receiver in his pics gives that away. The close up shows that it is actually not a No1Mk3, but a No1MkII*. But the same rifle, essentially.

The No4Mk1 (and their variants) were developed prior to WW2. These are the ones that have the 2" stub of the barrel protruding from the end of the stock. They typically had the spike bayonet instead of the long blade bayonet of the No1 family (there were a couple of blade bayos avail for the No4, but they are uncommon). No4's were cheaper to manufacture that the older No1 family. The No1's stayed in production through the 1970's, though.

No4's had the receiver mounted aperature sights, while the No1's had the notch rear sights mounted on the barrel.

Many, many subtle variations evolved over the years and Enfields can become fun to collect. They are still very reasonably priced, and good deals can be found.

12. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Cool ! Thanks M14 for the quick reply. Asking Questions is the only way to get educated.
    F.K.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My pleas, FK. My info was the "short form" version. Peter Laidler is THE authority on Enfields. Read some of the articles he has written if you want the "long form" version.

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

FK, that M14 guy is a pretty fart smeller..... uhhhh, I mean he knows his smellies...... uhhhhh, never mind. :p

One of my No1Mk3 for comparison:

[​IMG]

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I sold my No1Mk3 to a friend a few months ago, but still have my No4Mk1(T).
    [​IMG]

16. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Thats a sniper is it not?
    Is the scop matched to the gun ? I herd some were that they had to match the scope to the gun. I can tell ya I'm drooling.
    That is beautifull.
    F.K.

17. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Ahh +1 on that I think.
    I'm always amazed by the whelth of knowlage on this Forum.
    I love guns but there is always a special place for the guns that have kept a man or woman nowdays companion in the heat of things to which he or she relied on to keep themselves or his buddies alive.
    Regards Fisher King

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

OMG!!! Dude - you've been hold'in out on us. :cool:

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is the Sniper (T). Not all the scopes were numbered to the rifles, so I don't know if mine is original. It does not have any import marks, and the condition is exdellent.

It was missing the cover plate when I got it, but a friend hooked me up with the plate and screws, so now it is complete. I've taken it out twice and it is a hoot to shoot. Last time was about 6 weeks ago. I dialed it in, and then proceeded to make first round hits on steel from 100-600 yards, using PPU.

I need to focus the reticule a bit, and am hoping it does not need to go to the UK for that.

Enfields get a bum rap with lots of "shooters" but the No1Mk4(T) is considered the finest sniper rifle of WW2. And for a battle rifle, the Enfield was tops. 10rd capacity, fastest bolt action, simple design. Someone who knows how to use an Enfield can keep up a rate of aimed fire comparable to the average shooter with a semi auto. Chuck Taylor once did a demo with a No5 JC and a 50 yard pepper popper. He put a round into the center of the plate, worked the action and fired a second round onto the same plate before it fell. Try that with any other bolt action and let me know how you fare.