Lee-enfield original rifle for $200?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by HawkI, Apr 20, 2010.

1. HawkI

HawkI New Member

I was told that for around 180 to 200 bones that I'd be able to find a non-replica of a lee-enfield .303 bolt-action rifle at a gun show. Since private online sellers are asking a minimum of $400 to $1000, how likely is it that I'd find the aforementioned deal of 200?

2. APPDS

APPDS New Member

Only thing I can say to that is that if you look long enough and somebody is hungry enough then you'll find one at that price. thing is though in what condition?:eek: If you ever come to Greece you can still find the old WWII .303 floating around on the Island of Crete but not at that price. Everything to do with guns is more expensive in Europe :) Can't really offer much advice on the gun shows in the states though. Sorry !:cool:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you can find a good one at that price, buy it, then run away! Average price will be closer to $400. for a decent rifle.

4. ScottG

ScottG New Member

What model Lee--Enfield?

Scroll down past the Swiss K31s....

5. APPDS

APPDS New Member

6. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Scottg, the specific Mk wasn't really specified when I was told about the $200 deal. I am guessing any of the models. Supposedly finding a lee-enfield in decent condition isn't impossible because of the impeccable craftsmanship put into the rifles. Obviously wear and tear for close to a century will break down anything if not taken care of, but I'm sure these sweet little relics are floating around somewhere.

7. m72law

m72law New Member

SOG has the lee enfield #4 mk1's for 199.00 right now....look to be in good condition ....
    they also have the enfield #1.3 drill rifles for 110.00...all you have to do is buy a complete bolt from apex 40.00bucks and have a gunsmith check the headspace and youll be good to go...this is what i did and the headspace was dead on when swaping the bolts out...of course you have to either have a C&R lic. or have your local ffl guy transfer it for ya...good luck

8. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I don't doubt it for a moment Hawk, but I wouldn't pay $400 -$1000 for one from anyone when they're still available most places @$200. Hope you get a good one.

9. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Yes, I hope so also. I wouldn't take a bite outta the $400 lees. I'd probably just grab an sks if I couldn't find the lee-enfield at a decent price.

10. group17

group17 New Member

I see them at LGD's for $200/300 all the time. They also check the head spacing and will take it back if it's got any malfunction problems. I would keep looking around.
    example:

enfield MK III .303 Britt

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Headspacing can be a real issue with these rifles. They will "stretch" over time and leave you with a dangerous condition. There were replacement bolt heads made to correct this, but they have all but dried up.

By all means have the headspace checked on any milsurp rifle ESPECIALLY the the Lee-Enfields and Japanese Arisakas.

12. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I sold a matching numbers #1 MKIII with the correct bayonet and sheath for 175.00 a couple of years ago.

13. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Gun prices very regionally, what one would pay on average on the East coast and in some places on the West Coast could be as much as 30% higher than what you could find a gun for in the Mid-west. I am in Kansas City and i still find No1 MkIII's and No4 MkI's for under $250 quite regularly. I often find them in the $150-200 range.

But like someone else stated above, condition varies greatly at these prices and I have the convenience of shopping around, as I have also seen modest examples at over $400 on tables at the same shows.

Everyone seems to have a different idea of a guns value these days, but at the end of the day its really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With the economy the way it is people are not spending as freely and the Surplus bolt action market hasn't enjoyed the same "Gold Rush" scenario the Black Gun market has.

14. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Classic Arms has #4 Mk1's for $239 right now in Good to Very Good condition.

15. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Just got back to this thread... I've been meaning to ask you fellas which Mk. of Lee-Enfield would be best to buy. I know a jungle carbine exists, but I'd much rather have a 1908 or 1918 bolt-action model. Can anyone let me now which version of the rifle to look for?

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hawk- The WW I time frame would be the #1 Mk III (or for purists, Mk III*). The No 4 Mk I came out during WW II- about 1942 IIRC, but there WAS overlap of the 2 models.

My personal preference is the later model. They are likely to be in better shape, being 40-50 years newer, bolt heads are available in different standardized lengths (#1 has different bolt heads, but not numbered), MUCH better sights, I feel the balance is a smidge better- but my WW I rifle with the foot-and-a-half of sword bayonet IS intimidating as hell!

17. KRAGGY69

KRAGGY69 New Member

:) i would agree with c3 the later ones have improvements that make them more usefull.but they are still out there at the price you are looking at, i just picked mine up at an estate sale for $140 but that was 7months of wading through 200-500 dollar pieces o **** ,sporterized, mismatching no,and stocks that were used for driving tent spikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Kraggy- that gun looks beautiful, and thanks for the info c3.

19. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

20. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

What happened to that stock? I can't recall ever seeing an Enfield stock that "shiny".