Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Very good pics Goomba. I have a No.1 MkIII 1942 SMLE. I don't know what the markings stand for, but if you sent those pics to the NRA they would identify them. I would be interested in knowing as well! Mine was stamped on the stock with the crown and "Lithgow 1942". It shoots great. What was the problem with yours? Headspace or bad ammo?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
surplus ammo. I had the bolt get locked down due to a primer falling out of the casing after the round fired. I had just bought the rifle & didnt know anything about firearms, so I handed the rifle over to a buddy of mine that told me what had happened. I was then told that I should take it to a gun smith and have it looked at before I fired it again... & until recently, she has been sitting in the corner, just sitting there.

I'm hoping to get some ammo in for it soon. & then I get to go to the range and play with it some :D. after that I hope to go to my first high power match shoot and use my enfield to compete.. I have heard several good things about this rifle design as well as the .303 british round.
Be sure to have the headspace checked WITH A HEADSPACE GAUGE. The problem you describe is more of an indication of a headspace problem than an ammo problem. Primers, especially military primers, just don't fall out under normal circumstances...hot gasses in your face and eyes are not worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.