Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of use guys use this press? I've had one about 10 years and it's loaded a lot of handgun ammo. I have never had a problem with it except for the Lee Safety Prime contraptions. Mine has never been reliable and I have studied videos and read and re-read the instructions. Mine are the old-style with round primer holders. I've been told that the newest ones that are triangular are much better. Am I the only one who has problems with the old round rones?

· Registered
203 Posts
I've used the Lee Classic turret press since late 2020, mine came with the new third generation Lee safety primer system, which was upgraded / improved over the two previous version that gave lots of issues.

This was my first Lee press and I had heard some of the stories about how bad the on press priming system was for some individuals with the two previous versions so I was a little skeptical on how well the new version would work but I have to say I've been completely satisfied with it so far.

The main thing is to make sure it's aligned correctly with the priming arm, which you can see in the latter part of this VIDEO, I've also noticed the system feeds and function much better if the channel between the primer holder and head stays full of primers at all times. Another VIDEO as well on the new safety prime.

· Registered
6,167 Posts
I've been using two Lee turret presses for several decades loading for around 20 different cartridges. I've used the Lee primer tool year's ago, but mainly prime all of my cases separately.
I mainly use my presses like a single stage press, I don't care for the auto index feature of the press and removed them not long after I started reloading with turret presses in the early 1980's.

· Registered
203 Posts
I actually like the indexing feature, it's one reason I bought the press and it really speeds up the loading of all my handgun ammunition. I reloaded all my rifle and pistol ammo on an old Lyman orange crusher single stage for forty years. I load some of my rifle calibers on the Lee, but for those I don't shoot much or require a little more precision for hunting ammo, I stay with the Lyman.

I have an old Lee three hole turret a guy gave me a while back that I refurbished and use as well, it has a whole differ primer system on it, similar to my old Lyman press.
Scientific instrument Gas Engineering Machine Machine tool

· Registered
131 Posts
I put a rug remnant under area of the Lee Safety Prime whether I use the round or triangular trays as I usually drop a primer about 1 to 3% of the time. I've learned to live with it.
. I have never had a problem with it except for the Lee Safety Prime contraptions. Mine has never been reliable and I have studied videos and read and re-read the instructions. Mine are the old-style with round primer holders. I've been told that the newest ones that are triangular are much better. Am I the only one who has problems with the old round rones?

· Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I also have and use the Lee turret press (4-hole). I removed the indexing rod and just turn the turret by hand. I don't use the on-press priming. I use a Lee Auto bench priming tool. My press and the priming tool are mounted to the quick change plate system, so I just swap them in and out as needed. Most of my loading is rifle, so this setup works well. I can put all the dies for one cartridge in the turret head and they swap in and out of the press quickly and easily, plus it's easy to make a stand for the turret head with a piece of 2x4 and a dowel. Makes storing the dies/head easy and I don't have to change my die settings once dialed in. The turret plates are cheap enough from Midway ($12.99 each). My only real complaint is that 4-hole turret head isn't quite big enough and I often have issues with the die locking rings rubbing so it makes tightening them a PIA.

I also weigh each load on my A&D FX-120i scale, so I don't use any of the auto powder drops (I have the Lee Pro Auto Disk). I tried it but found it wasn't consistent enough for my liking. I splurged on the scale and an Autotrickler V4 back in October (the autotrickler is supposed to ship soon as they have quite a backlog on orders). That'll speed up my process considerably and also make my loading safer. I also feel comfortable enough with the FX-120i to load for 380 as it pretty much has no drift like my old electronic scale.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used the Lee Classic turret press since late 2020, mine came with the new third generation Lee safety primer system, which was upgraded / improved over the two previous version that gave lots of issues.

This was my first Lee press and I had heard some of the stories about how bad the on press priming system was for some individuals with the two previous versions so I was a little skeptical on how well the new version would work but I have to say I've been completely satisfied with it so far.

The main thing is to make sure it's aligned correctly with the priming arm, which you can see in the latter part of this VIDEO, I've also noticed the system feeds and function much better if the channel between the primer holder and head stays full of primers at all times. Another VIDEO as well on the new safety prime.
Ordered a set of the new style ones yesterday from Titan. They are coming by USPS so there is no telling when I may get them.(n)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts