Lee .223 collet dies neck vs full case resize

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by kjdeut, Aug 24, 2013.

1. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Been doing a lot of handgun reloading and getting ready to move on to rifle reloading, specifically .223 for a S&W M&P 15. I have a Lee turret press and have been looking into the Lee .223 die set.
    My confusion is in regards to neck resizing and full resizing. From reading I am not clear which way t go. A description of the Lee collett dies it states that for cases that have been previously fired in your weapon, and you are only reloading for that same weapon, you only need to do neck resizing. It also stated that you do not need to lube the case if only doing the neck resize.

In the Lee loading manual it reads like a full case resize should be done for semi autos regardless if previously fired in your weapon or not.
    Would like to hear from anyone that has experience with the Lee collett dies and .223 reloading. What are the plus and minuses of neck resizing vs full case resizing. At this point in time I only have the 1 .223 rifle that I will be doing the reloading for.

Thanks

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Neck sizing is for single shots and bolt actions. Semi auto's should be full length sized. Personally I full length size for my bolt guns too. Why take the chance of being on a hunt just to find out your ammo won't chamber. Target shooting is another matter.

3. mseric

mseric New Member

4. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

I personally full length resize all my .308 brass for my bolt action rifle regardless with superb accuracy,others will fire there rounds through there bolt guns which in turn fire forms them and in turn will only resize the neck only which in turn will give you more reloads,be aware that fire forming will mean that you will only fire those rounds in your rifle only,if you we're to full length size it will mean you are putting the brass back to factory specs and the rounds will be able to be fired in all guns of the same caliber...some people like to only size the neck which should give you overall better accuracy because you have fire formed the brass to suit your rifle and then others like I said will FLR...it's all up to the individual if you ask me......hope that helps.....cheers

5. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Thanks for the link, it is a very informative article.

6. Shade

Shade New Member

Yup "they" say always FL resize for semi's or you will have chambering
    problems. My experience is different.

I have a match grade AR; I neck size for it, I have never once had a single
    feed issue with it using neck sized ammo. Now I only neck size my match
    ammo; it does improve accuracy, when shooting from a bench I get as much
    as a 50% reduction in grouping sizes, there are other factors than just neck
    sizing, bullet choice, the degree I have tailored that load for that particular
    rifle, etc. But I do not have any issues with neck sizing and feed issues. I
    will add that the neck sized ammo is fire formed in that rifle only, then then
    shot only from that rifle and is kept separate from all my other .223/5.56
    ammo.

Now with my general 5.56 NATO load, they all get FL sized ammo as they
    get shot out of any of 8 different firearms; my 4 AR's, my son's Remington
    Model 7 and my reloading partner's 3 AR's.

I will also agree that hunting ammo should be FL sized.

There are also small base dies for ammo that is commonly shot in semi
    actions. These dies size the case to even smaller dimensions than standard
    FL dies. I have not used them; as I have never had and issue with feeding
    in any AR with my FL sized ammo.

Just my two cents worth; your mileage may vary.

7. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I neck size only for all of my wildcats with bushing dies, with no expander plug. I prefer neck sizing for all of my bolt guns too. I have tried the Lee collet die and do not like it at all, but some people do.

8. Shade

Shade New Member

I have had really good luck with all of my Lee collet dies
    except for the 7mm Rem Mag. Have not figured the one
    out yet. If it is the die, me or something else... My .300
    H&H's and 5.56 work really will with the Lee collet dies.

One thing I do is size the neck, rotate the case about 1/8
    of a turn and resize again.

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

I full size length everything except Belted cases which I neck size. Actually for 223 and 308 I use full length resize using small base dies but thats just me.