Leaving your XD mags fully loaded..Good or bad?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by louieboots, Feb 18, 2013.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Will leaving your magazines fully loaded ruin them in the long run? Fact or fiction? Has anyone ruined there mags by leaving them loaded for a long period of time? My XD .40 sub compact is my everyday in my bag pistol I always keep two mags loaded at all time that's why I was wondering this..

2. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have had my xd for four or five years now and I have always kept all three mags loaded. I have never had an issue with them whatsoever.

3. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I have had mine load all the time for almost two years. No problems at all

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Compressing and expanding the springs is what wears them out. Ever had a Pogo stick as a kid? They're fine when no one uses them. But they lose their bounce eventually when you ride it often.

I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't relate all the techie speak, but leaving a spring compressed or expanded is perfectly fine.

And for perspective, a friend of mine in the Marines Managed to hang onto the same M16 mag his entire enlistment. 4 years, extensive training, and three tours overseas, and it worked fine.

Now, some here have managed to wear out mag springs. Hell if I know how. They obviously have way more ammo money than I do.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

The only time my mags and gun are ever unloaded is at the range.

6. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Thanks for the feedback! I figured the same thing that it would be fine but always heard different..

7. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I have personally seen it cause issues with 92f mags. We were taught to rotate our mags periodically.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Agreed. Most objects wear out more from movement, not constant pressure.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hang out with more informed/experienced shooters ;)

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

The problems were more likely one or some of being dirty, rusty, out of spec, constantly being loaded and unloaded as often happens when used in military security roles.

Leaving a spring compressed inside its designed parameters will not hurt it. Its scientific fact. Its the movement itself of compression and decrompression that damages springs.

You do far worse damage to a magazine by unloading them to "let them rest" and none at all just leaving them loaded.

That being said, unless you shoot a damn lot of rounds, like in competition, or sit in front of the tv just loading and unloading a magazine your never going to wear one out.

Its a non-issue. Keep them clean, wipe down the springs and internal parts when you clean your gun and they will last several lifetimes

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud job Jon- You said that a lot more etiquettely than i would or could have :cool:

12. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Dirty may have been the case, however, we were directed by our team squad leader to rotate mags so that's what happened. They were cleaned at that time too.

13. Stacheyboots

Stacheyboots New Member

I have jept my 92fs loaded for a lil over a year now, and i havent had any issues. Not saying it doesnt happen, but i will be paying closer attention to it now.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

The mags for my XD45 stay loaded, but i do load one short as a hedge. I would hate to need to buy 10 or 12 springs to rebuild those mags.

15. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

It very well maybe the sand from the environment we were in but I seem it multiple times. If loading and unloading the wears them out I will just take my chances.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There were a couple of 1911 mags that had been loaded and unused for almost 50 years. The 1911, the mags and the ammo all functioned perfectly.

17. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

I keep my XD9sc fully loaded all the time i have 2 hi cap mags that i carry

18. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

I have 1911 magazines that have been loaded for 35+ years and function just fine.

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I did not know they made hi cap mags for the XD line?

20. txcasey86

txcasey86 New Member

Just curious as to how you know that they function just fine if they have been loaded for 35+ years?