Leaving you gun in your car.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by PositronDave, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PositronDave

PositronDave New Member

I work with a company that doesn't permit guns in their workplace, as many others I would assume. I have to drive through a "not so friendly" area to get to work, and leave my gun locked in my car, I know someone else that does this, but can't help from feeling a little nervous.

I always keep the serial number with me in case my car gets broken into and the gun gets stolen.

Anyone else leave their gun in their car, locked of course? Or use car holsters?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If I have to leave my gun in the car its usually locked up and stripped down with pieces hidden in different spots. Keep the clip on me.

3. PositronDave

PositronDave New Member

That's what I've been doing. Make me feel somewhat safer leaving it there.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah I still hate doing it

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Me personally...NEVER...They do make small mountable safes for just such a use. That may give you a little peace of mind.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

This topic came up once and a guy said a mechanic can weld a steel box to frame of car through trunk and create a rock solid place to lock,your weapon up. In my state the weapon & ammo must be locked in separate containers for transport. Check w the laws of your state before locking up.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Yes, I park my car at the airport daily and place firearm in a Nano Vault attached with cable beneath the seat.

Attached Files:

• Nano.jpg
      Nano.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  8. PositronDave

PositronDave New Member

That Nano Vault seems perfect, $24.49 on amazon with free shipping, thanks! :D

9. FAS1

FAS1 Member

I had a Surburban broken into at a Chili's on a Saturday afternoon. After being inside for 5 minutes my wife was cold and went outside to get her sweater. They were already gone with all the stuff they wanted from my vehicle and there were no witnesses. Spend a little more on a quality product that will slow them down enough that they can't just smash and grab your gun, especially if it's there daily for extended periods of time. Do you have a trunk? It would be better to bolt something in there. Any security or restricted access where you park? That would make a difference to me on what would work well. Good to see you are trying to secure your gun instead of relying on a plastic console or glovebox. This is my "Exploder" so no trunk. I use it more for extended drives than anything and can access still while seated.

[​IMG]

10. FAS1

FAS1 Member

You can see what kind of crimes are taking place in the area you park your car here: http://spotcrime.com

11. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

There are some occasions where leaving your firearm in your vehicle is unavoidable - like having to run into the Post Office, for example.

This is why none of my vehicles have any stickers or logos on them that might call attention to my Second Amendment leanings, like NRA, Browning Buckmark, or RMEF, etc.

12. BigB

BigB New Member

I do it only because I don't have my permit yet.

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

The only place my truck is left with a firearm inside is at work, our truck lot and shop is hidden pretty well. Its about a mile off the main road and i park right in front of our shop and dispatch office, there its watched by our dispatcher, saleman and about 6 mechanics.

The only reason my weapon is left in the truck at the shop is because i cant carry it in a tractor trailer or dumptruck, otherwise i would.

14. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Although sometimes suprisingly clever, most criminals are inherently stupid. Hide it in plain sight, like in a fastfood bag in the floorboard mixed with a few empty cups etc. They will rifle through console, glovebox, radio but will overlook the trash, because its trash. Unless they're really hungry shouldn't mess with it.

15. BigB

BigB New Member

Makes sense! You would have to be pretty stupid to want to be a crook in the first place!

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

16. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

What!

I'm a bit confused! How would you access this gun in an emergency situation? Did you take a class in speed assembly!:eek:

17. PositronDave

PositronDave New Member

I work in a courthouse, and park in the parking garage under the courthouse, has a guard posted, but still, anyone could walk in and start smashing cars (gotta admit be pretty damn stupid to, but, you never know). On rare occasion, I might have to street park, that's what makes me nervous. I like your idea of a bolted trunk box, can't afford that right now, so I ordered the Nano with the cable that I can secure under my seat, anyone doing a smash and grab with a brick will need a few extra minutes to get that out, don't think they'd waste their time, plus I keep my car empty and clean, so anyone passing by and glancing in won't be tempted by something they see.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

this is probably the best way to stop a smash and grab thief. they are looking for quick items, cameras, Ipods, laptops, ect. keeping higher value items out of sight, like in the glovebox or trunk will keep most of them from even messing with it. it won't stop all theft, but will usually stop one looking for quick and easy payday. those who might break into a vehicle and spend a little more time looking through the glovebox, console or under the seats, some type of box that is mounted or attached is probably the best bet. now if they were to steal the whole car, then, i would have to say that having the serial number somewhere so that it could be given to LE as soon as possible would be adviseable. if they steal the whole car, then they could have tools to access the storage device if they find it, plus also more time to defeat it.

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I don't think he meant he keeps it in pieces when he's in the car, just when he has to leave it there.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Correct its only in pieces when I'm away. I get back to the car and within the time it takes to light a cigarette its back together,loaded and holstered.