Leaving handgun with friend

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by bgg556, Jun 14, 2014.

1. bgg556

bgg556 New Member

Question

So if I leave my handguns with a grind while I am out of town can he use my weapons to defend himself if someone breaks in? Sate colorado

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Is your friend leagally able to own a gun? If not the answer would be NO!
    But if they can leagally own a gun I do not see a problem.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you have to ask the answer is probably no.

The easiest way to secure your weapons while out of town is to pawn them for a small amount. Your guns will be waiting in a secure environment. Make sure to record the serial numbers and take pictures of your guns in case something goes awry.

4. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm that's an interesting idea, never thought of using a pawn shop as a storage facility. Good idea, the only problem I see with that is - if you have to be the one to get them out of pawn. If so and should something happen to you while gone, even a long stay in a hospital; you or you surviving family would be out. I understand that should something happen the guns will not be of "immediate" concern, but I think eventually they'd be missed. Good thought though....

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

When I leave town, I lock my firearms in a safe and leave them at home.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You get a ticket when you pawn an item. Put your cell phone number on the ticket if you are concerned about a loved one needing to pick up your guns. I have purchased tickets for jewelry that was in pawn. I presented the ticket and picked up the jewelry, no questions asked.

A gun might be different due to BATF regulations. An FFL transfer would be required for loved ones to take possession of your guns.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The federal law (as I am guessing are most state laws) is largely silent on this one. If a crime is committed, the case will be wide open to the lawyers and the jury. This is where your judgement and common sense take a lead.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The pawn shop would normally be a good source of security. "But" there are a few things to consider. If I am not mistaken by Federal Law since a pawn shop/broker would have an FFL to do weapon transactions. If you pawn a firearm you have to fill out a Federal Form 4473 and have a record check run on you to get it back. Some of the pawn shops also charge a fee for this check. There also have been record of some pawn shops taking the weapon out and shooting it to be sure it is functional since they have an investment in it ?
    Bottom line, if the person is a good friend and is legal to possess a weapon. And had a secure storage area for my weapon that would be my choice. Only you know the integrity of the friend. In fact in Indiana I know that their personal protection law states the CCW can carry any weapon that they are legally in possesion of. It could even be a friends pistol for example.

9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I would leave them at a local firearms dealers for a small fee. It would be illegal here to leave them with a friend.

10. jimmiep

jimmiep New Member

In SC where I live, if I own it I can sell it to whom ever I please as long as he is an instate resident. So I guess I can leave it with whom I please. It's my gun. Why would he need to use it unless he is in a really crummy area and I wouldn't leave it there anyway. If he has his own weapons he won't need yours, but if he uses it to protect home and property the police are going to take it as evidence and you may never see it again. Think of your friend this way. Will you let him use your car while your away. Might not be your friend when all is said and done.

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If you have a hard case for it, might not be a bad idea to lock the case.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If a friend is capable of protecting himself or others with a hand-gun, he will probably own one. If he is not proficient with a hand-gun, I sure as hell would not want him using mine.

Let 'em get their own guns.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If you have a Safe that can't be moved(mine is 650 Lbs and needed three offensive linemen & a Hoist to move it from the bonded courier to the inside of my house). No reason to use "the Pawn Shop" option if you have a good Safe....

14. mseric

mseric New Member

Not exactly.

11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x).

The person you sell to must not be a Prohibited Person.

15. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Storage locker, storage rental, etc. No need for what ifs, judgement calls, hindsight. I would much rather have my firearms under lock and key than in the possession of someone I am supposed to trust.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

in states where you can do a FTF sale of a pistol without being required to go through an FFL dealer, knowingly prohibited person is the defining factor.

i live in Texas andwe can do private sales of any legal firearms without using an FFL dealer. if i sell a gun to a complete stranger, i have no way of determining what his criminal background is, nor anyway to do a check. so i can't be held responsible for what the person i sold it to, does with it.

now, on the flipside, if i sell my BIL a pistol and he's on felony probation or parole for drug poseession or armed robbery, they can assume that is something i should have known, since he's my BIL.

years ago, i did have one pistol i was questioned about that was used and recovered from an armed robbery that i had sold to an individual at a gun show. it had passed through several people since, but i was the last recorded owner on any FFL forms for that pistol.

on the rare occasion if i do a private sale, i get the person's name, address and DL number in case there ever happens to be any problems that might arise later on.

17. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Why not do a bill of sale? Seems like the best way of documenting that the gun is no longer in your possession while not giving the government any more details about it. You would only need to show it to someone if a issue ever came up.

18. Axxe55

in Texas, if you pawn a gun, the person who pawned the gun is the only one who can get it out of pawn, and you have to fill out a 4473 Form, just like your were buying a gun.

and a pawn shop is not a storage facility for guns. the interests rates are massive as well for just a 90 day pawn! you can extend the loan period of the pawned item if you choose, but this just adds to more money they are making on the pawned item.

19. Axxe55

that is pretty much what i was saying. the term was escaping me. brain fart!:eek:

the last private sale i did, it was a straight up trade with a co-worker that i have known for at least two years and also holds a CC permit. i didn't do a bill of sale with him. i knew him personally and know where he works and lives.

20. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Someone is getting old! :D:D:D