Leaving gun in car

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by cblowe13, Sep 29, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Work at a hospital and have to leave the gun in car for 10 hours. Is there any type of insulated box or something I could try to keep it from rusting or literally freezing?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

get a gun vault that you can physically mount to your vehicle. keep your pistol oiled. if you live in a really high humidity environment, then throw a couple of those dessicant packages in the gun vault with the pistol. if the temperature is close to freezing, rust is not an issue. don't worry, the pistol won't freeze.

4. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

5. Axxe55

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Thanks for the help axxe

7. Axxe55

you're welcome! send all donations and tips directly to my bank account!:D

8. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

You deserve a FEW bucks lol. You've helped out a good bit.

9. FAS1

FAS1 Member

10. M605

M605 New Member

11. Hobbit712

Hobbit712 New Member

I have one of these in my Jeep but they make others to fit other vehicles.

[​IMG]

12. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ That is nice! I have a nanovault like this one: http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-300-nv300.html . It is cabled to the seat support and is used for short-term storage of my car pistol. Going in the curbstore, lock it in the nano; going in the house, take it with me.

13. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

What you do not want to do is leave your gun in the car in freezing temps then take it inside where it is warm. The gun will begin to sweat and moisture will build up inside the gun, especially in the firring pin area. Then when you take it back out into freezing temps, the moisture will freeze and could jam up the guns operating system. I go with one posters suggestion of a small cooler. The temps will not vary up and down so quickly. Just like after a day hunting in cold/snow areas. You leave your gun outside to hunt the next day.

14. mahall

mahall New Member

I keep mine in my car for similar reasons. Keep it clean and oiled in my console with two dry packs! We will see! At the first sign of rust, something else will be arranged! Good thing about Glocks, over half is made of plastic and rustproof-:)

15. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

I wouldn't worry about it getting to cold or hot. Any well maintaned gun should work well in any temperature. Unless your in Alaska and it 30 below. As far as rusting sounds like you have a humidity problem. I would just put it in a air title container.