Leaving gun in car

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by cblowe13, Jul 7, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I leave my lc9 under seat in zip up bag since I don't have cwp at the moment so I opened it today and it had like this type of brown rust looking and it's brand new literally few weeks. But it rubs off wtf? I don't understand what it is, my guess is maybe the weather in my car doing that possibly air hitting it. Help me out please

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

It sounds like surface rust. Where are you located at? Is it hot and humid.
    I would never use a plastic sealing bag to store my gun in. It doesn't breath and, in fact, would act like a green house trapping heat and possibly forming condensation. I would recommend getting a gun safe made to be slid under a car seat. Also, I would recommend getting a CWP so you don't get caught with a gun illegally and find you can no longer ever own a gun again. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

3. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Agreed on all points, mine resides in the holster in the car.. If you don't have a holster or one that won't fit under the seat, a breathable nylon/mesh bag will work. I also use the cotton carry bag for my headphones. As stated an under seat safe is your best option

4. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

It's not illegal in sc to have the gun in the car as long as its not seen. It's actually in the ruger zip up case. It tends to get humid. But this problem only a few times will not hurt it right. Like continue to have rust if I take it out

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

It should be fine, I had an early XD9 and the slide had a similar issue due to the coating or lack of. I had to clean/oil it daily, carrying inside work is simply was not an option for me. I eventually had it dura coated and sold it.

Keep it clean/oiled, it will be fine, particularly if don't continue to leave it in the car. Humidity sucks.

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Okay thank you for your advice

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

get a gun sock that inpregnated with silicone. it will prevent the surface rust. a closed up vehicle in hot humid weather can cause rust in a very short time. i have seen bare metal here in East Texas develop surface rust in less than an hour.

the plastic bag is trapping moisture. just like Winds said, it's condensation forming in there.

9. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Yeah ill try that but the bag is not plastic! I would never put a gun that I pay over 400 in a plastic bag it's in a carry case

10. Axxe55

sorry, misread. one of those zip-up gun rugs are for transport only, and not for storage, even very short term in humid climates.

11. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Even those ruger cases. I figured they would hold up pretty steady for storage.

12. Axxe55

most all gun cases. they will hold and trap any moisture. they are for transport only, not storage, unless they are made for storage. most aren't.

a gun sock with silicone is made for storage.

13. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

A guy I know purchased a handgun to store in his vehicle. The exterior rusted all s***.
    I thought the gun was a lost cause, but my father got it all off. I didn't snap any of the after photos.

image-946216342.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  14. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Wow that's crazy mine will never get like that lol my last gun didnt in the glove compartment so we will see how that goes but jeeper come on really with the avatar? You couldn't find a tiger helmet

15. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

And is that the freaking magazine rusted to

16. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Any gun that spends extended time(8 hour work days) locked in a car on a regular basis needs to be thoroughly clean regularly. I field strip my pistol daily or every other day and break it down as far as I feel comfortable weekly as mine sees regular time in the car. Only place I've seen any surface rust at all is the sights but I dare not risk it..

Btw.. ROLL TIDE!!!

17. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

You clean yours every day? And

Btw keep rolling haha

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Throw a couple desiccant packs in the case.

19. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Where do you get those

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Check Amazon.