Leather & Sweat

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bigtiller, Jul 13, 2013.

1. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I have an outside the waistband Mitch-Rosen formed leather holster for my Ruger LCR. After a vigorous afternoon walk the holster may get a little damp.

What is the best way to keep its form and retention capabilities while drying out?

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tiller,

Unfortunately sweat is a definite enemy of leather products. Basically the only thing that you can do to slow down it's effect on your leather holster is when you return home to get a damp cloth with straight water on it and wipe the holster down good to slow down the effect of the salt that is produced by sweating. Do not saturate the leather just wipe it with the well moistened cloth. Let it air dry. There is no good answer that I know of just one of those things you can slow down the effects.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

3. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

While it is drying, gun in or out of the holster?

I have always used pocket holsters and this is my first leather belt holster. For the price of it, I am hoping it last for a good amount of time.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Gun out of the holster. There are "shape guns" that holster makers use to form the holsters. You may be able to find one of those if you are worried about the moisture making your leather holster lose hape as it dries empty.

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Take gun from holster wipe down, and allow holster to air dry.