Leather holsters good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by loctite44144, Jan 12, 2013.

1. loctite44144

loctite44144 New Member

I'm thinking about having a custom inside the waistband leather holster I have an M&P 9 with a Streamlight TRL 4 on it so I can't find the off the shelf holsters do the scratch or where the blueing funny and do thay fill

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I only use custom leather holsters.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Any carry piece WILL show wear eventually. That is pretty much unavoidable, and should not be a serious concern. I don't think leather will speed that up though. Leather WILL however conform to the gun, and to your body, and become more comfortable the more you wear it.

4. bigsilver45

bigsilver45 New Member

Back in the seventies, I owned a safariland inverted clamshell shoulder holster. I carried an s&w mod 28. At present, I'd like to find something similar for a 4" colt anaconda. Any one have any suggestions?

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The acids used in leather tanning will accelerate wear and promote rust on a firearm stored for a period of time in a leather holster, especially a blued finish. On the flip side, if you take care of the weapon it's usually not an issue. Just don't store the weapon in leather.

I have always preferred the lined leather holsters over any other, and have yet to have any significant wear or rust issue.