Least Finicky 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Squawk, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'm in the market for a 1911. I was told by a friend that Kimber makes a great 1911 but they are very particular with ammo. What 1911 would anyone recommend for shooting any and all types of 45 ammo?

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

My Kimber doesn't seem to mind diff ammo, just no reloads per Kimber, round nose and hollows do fine. It is however particular to Kimber and Wilson combat mags. It's my understanding that a lot off 1911's don't like cheaper mags

3. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Pretty much all of them....
    The deciding factor on which you choose will be what your wallet can stand.

If you are in the market for a Kimber ($800 - $1000) for most basic Kimber models then you are in the market for Sig, Colt, Springfield, Ruger, S&W etc....
    All are good choices and all should run on most anything.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Mechanical devices can come from the same manufacturer, the same lot, and be totally different.

The 1911 was originally designed to chamber the 230 gr .45 ACP, and does it quite well.

If it does not, then someone messed with it.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

All 1911s are different....like snowflakes, DNA and old Harleys.

To find the ammo your gun likes you will need to handload.

Pick a manufacture that doesn't prohibit reloads.

And one that warrants your choice for life.

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have a Colt Series 70. I had the ramp polished and ejection port cut out. It eats anything. I practice with 200 gr truncated cone reloads. Many, many thousands, a no malfunctions.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I reload 185gr SWC in both copper and lead. My SA Loaded eats them no problem. I've never had a problem with factory 230gr round nose either.

8. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I had a sig that ran anything I fed it.....it ran perfect but then again alot of companies produces firearms like that

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

all my 1911's feed all i put trhough them, from factory ammo to my reloads. the only exception is some cast lead reloads i picked up cheap at a gun show. none of them would digest that crap! took a caliper to them, and they were a bit oversized. go figure.

i have to agree with Cane that reloading is the way to find exactly what your pistol likes and what will shoot most accurately. my reloads will shoot 2-3" groups easily all day long at 10 yards. that is offhand shooting and not a rest, so it meets my criteria for accuracy and usage.

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find on the shelf through my Kimber. It's usually Monarch which is extremely dirty. I have started reloading also so what is the deal with Kimber and reloads?

I have 2500 rounds through my gun and only one failure due to a case on winchester factory ammo being to long. I also shoot some Winchester Ranger-T 230 grain hollow points through and they do excellent. I completely agree with what has already been said about 1911's and that is every manufacturer can make a good one or a bad one, it's just whether quality control will find those bad ones.

11. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Thanks for all the info.

12. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Interested to hear which gun you decide on, give us an update when you make a purchase! :)

13. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

1911 platforms can be very picky and some can accept anything. From the same model/manufacturer you'll get different results/posts on this subject.
    I have always followed the manufactuurers recommendations and if it doesn't work I send it back to the manufacturer. The same applies to magazines. If they don't work with stock/as supplied magazines I send them back.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats as gud a answer as possible IMO & experience^^^ --Just no way anyone can say brand X is the least picky about ammo or whatever==Pick one & roll the dice like the rest of us :D

15. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Guess you could go the other way, pick your ammo first and then keep buying 1911s until you find the one that likes it. I like the logic but sure my wife wouldn't quite buy it!

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You have a sick sick mind-
    I like that :D

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Ditto on SIG. My 1911 is not picky at all with ammo. I had one issue with the slide not locking back on the last round but it was just an dirty, dry slide catch. I cleaned it and lubed it up and it performs flawlessly. Love it.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if i could afford it, my mind would be just as sick!:eek:

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Your typical Kimber costs $1000 or so. If I was shopping for a 1911 at around $1K, I'd start with...

1) Springfield
    2) Sig
    3) Colt

I'm not offering any tangible evidence, so take it for exactly what it is. Just the opinion of some dude you don't know.

And buy good mags!

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Modern 5" 1911s aren't typically finicky. Contrary to what they say on the Glock Forums.
    Original GI Spec 1911s developed a bit of a reputation for it when people started feeding them early hollow point ammo. Hence the ubiquitous recommendation that one "polish the feed ramp." I'm no Kimber fan, but I will go out on a limb and state that I doubt serviceable Kimbers are any more fussy than any other 1911.
    However, when barrel lengths get shorter, builders must be on their game to ensure that reliability doesn't suffer.