LeAnn's Glock Question

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by LeAnn, Jul 13, 2012.

1. LeAnn

LeAnn New Member

Does anyone know about a Glock 9mm. If this a good gun for having it for self defense

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Welcome to the forum LeAnn. Generally speaking, the GLOCK (even though I can't stand them), are fine, reliable, and decently accurate.

They're also butt ugly, have the ergonomics of a badly hewn 2X4, and has a trigger pull that in my opinion is way too light for not having an external safety.

Since you ask, I assume (at the great risk of making an ASS of U and ME) that you're not familiar with their reputation, and I wonder if you're familiar with guns at all? If your completely new to guns and firearms, I personally think there are much better choices out there. I'm very fond of double action revolvers for newbies.

Oh, and swing over to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself. We're a pretty helpful bunch for the most part, and we can give you the best help if we know exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

3. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

LeAnn,
    You'll find that opinions vary extremely... I for one love Glocks. I used them in the military as a military police officer everyday. I have had to depend on my weapon numerous times and a Glock has never (never) let me down. They are arguably one of the most durable guns on the market and can be customized for reasonable prices.
    That being said, they have no external safety. (this is a feature that actually sells the gun for those of us trained and want a hand gun with this option)... I keep mine loaded in the clip with an empty chamber. I can jack the slide and be ready to fire in millisecond.
    Go handle different hand guns at a shop. It doesn't cost anything to look and touch... You'll know the right fit when you feel it. If its a private sale, go shoot it, handle it, see how you are at racking a shell in the chamber... It's about your comfort and ability to be safe and affective at the same time. It's like the difference in do you want to drive a truck, jeep, or pinto?
    Hope this helps. Good luck

4. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

One more thing, a 9mm is excellent for defense. It's a great all around caliber. But a 22cal is a great self defense round if used correctly... (although It wouldn't be my first choice).

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

LeAnn, welcome to the forum!

As you peruse the different areas, you will find that we really try to get along with each other.
    We have areas that are item specific. Glocks even have their own area (but I don't know why...)

If you have not taken any training classes, may I suggest that you do so. Some of us have been exposed to firearms our whole lives and can still learn a thing or two from a training session.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I don't care for Glocks, they have a syndrome for ADs

labeled "Glock leg" from people CCing a glock, and it going off

in their pants.

I would look into other manufacturers which offer pistols with

redundant safeties. Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Beretta, and

CZ, to name a couple.

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

There are Glock haters here.. ;)

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Don't forget the Glock Snobs too ;)

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Need I say more?

Attached Files:

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

He does NOT mean that GLOCKS just go off on their own like they are time bombs. Every Accidental Discharge has a reason, usually stemming from something getting into the trigger guard while putting it back into the holster for some reason.

Glocks are a fine choice on paper. That's where I started. But the Glock just doesn't fit my hand very well. I ended up going with a Springfield XDm. It feels a little better in my smallish hand and has one extra safety feature.

Go to the range and shoot a few guns, but take along a friend. Ranges don't like to rent guns to people who come alone without a gun. There are good reasons, but that doesn't need to be on this thread.

Welcome!

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I'm a huge fan of Glocks. Have 4 Glocks and 1 Sig. In the process of selling the Sig. So i guess i fall into the Glock Snobs category? Lol

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

No fan boy fighting please ;)
    Getting tired of us 1911 KoolAid drinkers having to pee on y'all's parade....
    :p

14. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Nah, just those who think that there is no other gun in the world that can compare to Glock. I actually ordered a G26 Gen 4 cause I wanted to check out the newer ones. I shot a Gen 1 years ago, put it down and never picked up another one until Tue when it came in. Still not my favorite, but they do feel better then the Gen 1. I just hope I can move it.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll have a GLOCK one day, I'll admit it. But, having had experience with GLOCK, there are other guns much much higher on my list. Like building Cinderocka a 1911...

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

So far i love Glocks and i'm open to any guns. If the gun has nicr model, good price, reliable and feel comfortable to me. Regardless the brand is, why not?

To the OP, Glock is reliable, easy to strip apart and cheap. But there are other brands which might be better, cheaper/ more expensive and etc. It all depends to each of his/her own.

17. upammo

upammo New Member

I like my glock 19 (gen 3) but a negative for me is the thick grip. You may want to see if you can get a good solid grip on it.
    That said, it is still one of my primary go to weapons, because it is dependable, hi-capacity, and easy to use.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Glocks are fine pistols for defense. I find the consistent trigger pull easy for teaching new shooters. The lack of redundant safeties can be a good thing for new shooters as well. All that I have to drill into a new shooter is to keep the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. I don't have people returning their pistols to a holster and forgetting to re-activate the safety. I don't have people forgetting to turn safeties off during stress drills, either when drawing from a holster.

All handgun callibers are pretty marginal for stopping a threat, but 9mm, .40, and .45 when placed properly and using good ammo are proven to be effective.

19. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I also have a G19 generation 3. I have small to medium size hands and its perfect for me. But its best to try out multiple guns, research them, watch reviews on them, see what you like and then make a choice.

20. LeAnn

LeAnn New Member

I have shot about 8 guns and the only two I did real well was a .357 and I want to say a glock 19 i believe it was called, but anyways I really want to purchase a Ruger LC9 LaserMax Handgun If I am going to shoot I wanna make sure red dot shows where to shoot. Haha!!