Leader 50 BMG

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Black Talon, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

The Leader 50 BMG semi-automatic rifle — as seen at the 2011 SHOT Show — will be manufactured by MICOR Industries, Inc. of Decatur, Alabama. Its fate is unaffected by the collapse of Sabre Defence Industries.

Defense Review article on the Leader 50 BMG.

[​IMG]

We also expect next month’s issue of Shooting Illustrated to contain a write-up.

I’m the son of the designer, Charles St. George, whose other small arms include the Leader T2 MK5 and Bushmaster M17S — the first rifles to use a triangular bolt and aluminum extruded receiver, respectively.

I was at the unveiling of the Leader 50 at the Sabre Defence booth in January, where I met Dillinger and Dzscubie.

I intend for this thread to be ongoing. All updates regarding the Leader 50 will be posted here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Gentlemen! Kindly take it down a thousand! :mad:

First off, Black Talon is a personal friend of mine that I invited here from another forum.

Second, as Scubie will attest, BT's old man designed this monster as well as several weapons previously that some of you even own.

This thing is the REAL Effing Deal! The bolt assembly/ carrier group is built like a god damn tank! It's impressive.

Now, while Black Talon may be new to you all, I would appreciate you extending him some FTF courtesy as I can assure you, he is one of the good guys and has probably already forgotten more about small weapons design than most of us will never know.

B.T. - thank you for the write up and PLEASE keep us informed of your progress to market!

JD

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a wicked looking rifle. I would have never conceived of a 50 in a bullpup design.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Sorry for the ruddness before.

Can I ask that advantages of a triangular bolt? I have never heard of that before

5. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

WOW! ill brb i gotta go get my wife to get rid of my wood! lol seriously that thing is SEXY! if i only had 7000 layin around to pick one up!

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Less recoil than a 30-06, incredible! I would like to see it in action on the range.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'll wait for Scubie to weigh in on the actual "hands on" feel of the weapon. I can say this though. Mr. St. George and his son were both EXCELLENT hosts and VERY knowledgable about the product in question AND the market it is up against.

Make no mistake guys, this thing is the real deal in .50 cal sniper weapons f it can perform as advertised. 17 or so pounds!?!? Ridiculous!

JD

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

from that pick it doesnt look like the bolt has enough room to strip a round. be interesting to see how it works.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Welcome, Black Talon, thanks for coming aboard!

Looking forward to more updates.

Will this handle Mil-Surp specialty ammo?

10. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

It’s $2,000 less than the competition; I think that’s low enough considering what it is. ;)

Thank you.

That’s what this thread is for.

I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean.

Less expensive to manufacture since all you have to do is machine three flats instead of broaching it.

You will soon.

My pleasure.

We’ve only tested it with M33 so far.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  11. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Great looking gun! When I graduate, and if I get a signing bonus, this'll be top 10 things to spend it on. Absolutely awesome looking gun, and I'm sure it shoots as well as it looks.

However, a few guys and I were discussing the merits and drawbacks of a large, precision bullpup and a few questions came up and was hoping you could clear them up. First of all, how is the quality of the trigger? My friend's main concern with bullpups is the lack of a quality trigger feel due to extending the trigger mechanism so far backwards. Secondly, what is the critical length of a barrel on 50BMG? That is to say, at what point does extra barrel become a detriment instead of a benefit to shooting?

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

So Black Talon what is the price on this little beauty? I love the look of that little girl.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My comment was reserved for the members that started the thread off in a negative light. I was referring to the level of their posts, not the price of the weapon itself. ;)

14. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

Glad to hear it!

Good.

The Leader has a single-stage trigger that engages a linear hammer system; it does not have the linkage problem that some bullpups do.

The Leader 50 will be available with a 24- and 28-inch barrel. Most .50 BMG rifles do not have a barrel length in excess of 29.

According to Hatcher’s Notebook (p. 399), the difference in muzzle velocity between a 30- and 32-inch barrel on an M2 Browning machine gun is a mere 28.1 feet per second.

Based on this, I would say that a length of >32 inches is unnecessary.

MSRP is $6,800.

Ah, my mistake.

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Welcome Black Talon!! Can't wait for a vid of this being taken for a run at the range!

16. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Glad to have you here. I look forward to seeing this thread unfold. It looks like one hell of a design.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

OK, i'm nothing near a rifle expert (barely rifle literate), so i am wondering about the advantage of a bullpup design with a round that seems most advantageous at longer distances. IOW, why a bullpup design? Is it designed for closer engagements with armored targets or what?

Dumb it down for me a bit, please. :confused: (I'm not being sarcastic; i'm just a lil ignorant in this area)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  18. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Welcome, BT! I'll have to forget replacing my truck and save for this instead.
    I know some of the members in the high stress retail security operator biz will want this to guard the food court near them as well!

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It makes the 50 BMG a one man rifle.

20. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Welcome Black Talon, would love to see a video of this in action. A 50 cal. bullpup design is very interesting indeed.

Jim.......