Lead and Glock ?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by dango, Dec 28, 2014.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't know much more than I have read about shooting lead through Glocks barrels . Some say no no , too dangerous while others say they have with no issues . What do the masses say ?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Glock says no because of the hexagonal rifling.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

you could get away with it if you know what lead build up is and looks like through frequent inspection and cleaning.

but i wouldnt do it. lead and hex rifling dont get along.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Install a Lone Wolf barrel in your Glock and shoot all the non-jacketed, plated, etc. lead bullets you wish.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My son has thousands of rounds of S&S coated lead bullets through his 34 and there is zero leading. He routinely shoots 1,000-1,500 rounds between cleaning. Shoot harder cast bullets that are coated and it shouldn't be a problem.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

HK has hexagonal rifling and can shoot lead. Glock: Unsupported chamber, lead build up = Kaboom Stories. ;)

OP: Lots of people shoot lead rounds in their Glocks; you simply buy an another barrel. Consider it a part of the original purchase price, like getting rid of the plastic sights and replacing trigger spring. Use these as bargaining points to reduce your total cost. If all fails, play the 2X4 card and 80's design -this should lower the price.

The Glocks vices are well known but there are many who say it's virtues more than make up for them.

7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I shoot lead through my Bersa 45. It too has a polygonal barrel and there in lies the problem with lead. I think that if you're shooting hot loads >1100 fps you have an opportunity for leading. In a polygonal barrel, that translate into increased pressures. That can be bad. The lead I shoot from my Bersa is moving at 750-800 fps and leading and performance has never been an issue. good luck

8. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Lead bullets are freakin Nasty in all guns, they suck. People always want to go cheap on a fine weapon.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

They do not "suck."
    There's a reason that lead wadcutters and semi-wadcutters haven't gone away - it's because they are extremely accurate. Bonus: For target use, they cut nice clean holes for scoring.
    Aside from a bit of residue from the lube, they aren't normally that bad if due diligence is used. Leading is caused by improper sized bullets, more than heavy charges.
    For those who clean once a year, whether it needs it or not; I can see where cast bullets might be inconvenient.

For Glock? Has anyone messed with the new "Hi-Tek" coated bullets? That seems like it might be a nice way forward.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=20&secondary=8

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Every post above is correct, there isn't much left to say. Dango, are you an avid handloader? Because if you are not, it is a moot point. Almost all commercial 9mm ammo is jacketed.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Wadcutters are no more accurate by themselves, they are just easier to shoot, and that helps YOU shoot better in a competition.

12. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree and got one quite a while ago , the Lone Wolf that is ! Had to do a little polishing and fitting , it just did not want to function properly .

Attached Files:

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Not in my experience

Cast lead is more accurate in both my firearm and my wife's than HAP. I shoot the cast, she shoots the HAP. She's willing to accept a slight slip in accuracy to get away from the increased smoke.

14. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

It's true....lead bullets are extremely accurate, but the extra accuracy will only be realized in an accurate target-type pistol; & that type of pistol usually will not have polygon rifling. The Glock is not a target pistol; it is accurate for what it is - a combat pistol.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

SPR is putting oversized match barrels in their new 5.25" - barrels are sanded to fit individual slide and stay together throughout manufacturing process. Some Glock owners may be doing something similar to achieve target performance out of a combat piece. (Aren't most replacement Glock barrels match grad?)

For $105 SPR can remove some of the slop inherent in a service piece and reduce groups in half. Not entire sure "what" they do but Glock owners might be able to do the same thing.

People have been modifying their guns to squeeze more accuracy out of a platform for a long time. Does the accuracy come at the cost of reliability?

Excellent question -