lead ammunition?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sbitter, Mar 20, 2012.

1. sbitter

sbitter New Member

So I was lookin for some cheap 9mm Target ammo and I noticed that lead rounds are a heck of a lot cheaper. But people say there just dirty and smokey. Does anyone have any experience with these and have any comments on them good or bad?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What are you planning on shooting them out of?

3. sbitter

sbitter New Member

I'll be shooting it out of my s&w sigma "sw9ve"

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

All ammunition is dirty; firearms that shoot ammunition will need cleaned. Some ammunition may be cleaner than others, but with dirty ammunition a shooter may need an extra patch for a good clean-up, no big deal. TulAmmo is the cheapest, dirtiest ammunition I have shot, and have no problems with it.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's all good as long as you aren't using a glock.

In a 9 mike mike, you're not pushing them fast enough to need a gas check.

Just know the signs of lead build-up.

Keep it clean and you're GTG.

6. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Sweet cause I'm just looking for cheap Target ammo and I love sitting and cleaning my guns anyway its a good past time so sounds like I found my choice. Thanks for the help

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Cheeper than Winchester white box?

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Can't be any dirtier than my cast reloads using Unique. Since your not using in a gun with Polygonal rifling, there shouldn't be much to worry about. Aside from a bit of leading.

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Walmart has TulAmmo at the lowest cost.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The Tulammo will be perfectly fine for what you are wanting it for. Where i live its $9.99 a box at wally world. The next cheapest "better quality" ammo is the winchester white box.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'll make a point of lookin next time- Don't recall seeing any here :confused:

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would much rather shoot my cast reloads out of any of my guns than shoot TulAmmo through anything but my AK/SKS. Make sure the bullet is "Hard Cast" and not swaged. Swaged lead is too soft for 9mm. A good hard cast bullet should not cause any undue leading of your Sigma

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I have used 230 gr lead ammo in two HKs w polygonal rifleing w/o any ill effects. Bore snake seems to do the trick.

Owners manual did say to avoid steel bore brushes which irritated me because I already had a few that we're supposed to simplify clean up.

My gun club requires lead only ammo for their indoor range. PIA as its hard to find 9mm lead ammo.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  14. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Tul ammo I saw some of that but it was a dollar more than the lead stuff at cabellas so I didn't know which way to go

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

All things are not equal and reloaders can use cleaner burning powders. Unfortunately, most of the stuff you see for sale has the cheapest powder they can buy.

You'll know what you have the first time you pull the trigger. :rolleyes:

16. 1HotMama

1HotMama New Member

I shot TulAmmo the other day, that stuff stinks (literally!)! I'd rather pay the extra $0.50 for Federal.